Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

NaGaCreMo / Unlock the Door [AGK2] [NaGaCreMo '16]

Author
User Banned
Posted: 7th Jan 2016 18:57 Edited at: 10th Jan 2016 22:59
I think now is as good a time as any to open up my WIP thread.

I am currently working on a game engine for a room-based puzzle game called Unlock the Door.

Right now, I am coding the map editor. It won't be anything too fancy, but it will have the following features:

- Project handling
- Undo/Redo
- Will be added into the game for replayability
- Debug Logs

I have most of the "boring" stuff coded, all I really need to do is make a LoadMap function which loads any level the user can then edit.

Here's what I have working so far:

Legend: = Implemented = Working On = Deprecated/Removed = Buggy

Undo/Redo
Level Saving/Loading
Debug Log
Set Tile Properties
Better GUI

UPDATE: Here is a video of the editor in action, in its current state!

Here's some screenies!

I will try to have a working demo done this weekend, but no guarantees as work has been hectic. I have been working on this when I can and I'm honestly surprised I've gotten as far as I have!

I hope to have all of the other buttons needed to set tile properties implemented by the end of tomorrow, and after that it will just be a matter of coding in a tile selector and loadmap function and I should be done. If I can get that all done tomorrow I will be stoked!

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2016 21:46
Looking good Yoda. I'm not up to date on these games so its hard for me to tell whats happening in the early stages.

I cant wait to see it unfold

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2016 01:03
cool! id hafta say the same as i dont know much about these puzzle games... i too will hafta wait and see it unfold

looks like your getting good progress though

unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2016 23:45
You guys are such overachievers with your level editors and tools and such on a month long project!

Looking good so far!
Using AppGameKit v2 T1 + T2
Systems: Primary: Windows 10
Secondary: Mac OS X 10.10
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jan 2016 01:31 Edited at: 9th Jan 2016 01:32
Thanks guys! Unfortunately, I have decided to not use AppGameKit for this project after all, mostly because I want to get a GAME out, not a level editor.

As such, I will be porting this project over to Stencyl. Here is a screenshot of what I want the graphics to look like.

As you can see, there will be different color areas. Each one will have a different puzzle to solve, and when you solve all of them in any given room, only then will you be able to unlock the door!

And now because I can actually work on the game portion rather than the map editor portion, I should be able to get a demo out much faster

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jan 2016 18:41
Just kidding, Stencyl SUCKS. Don't even bother with it

I will probably just finish the level editor for the game by January 31st, and then code the actual game once I make sure everything works in the editor itself. It will not be hard to code the game at all, in fact I'm sure it can be done in less than 350-400 lines of code!

I will make a video of the editor's progress tonight, I want to knock out a couple more features first!

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 10th Jan 2016 14:42
I didn't get the features done last night that I wanted, but I did get some other stuff done that I will show screenshotst of real quick!

Grid Off

Grid on and Debug Info Off

Highlighted button

Error Message

I will soon post a video of it in action, once it is done uploading

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2016 15:01
Looking fantastic! Can't wait too see the video!

Are you running the percentage system?

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 10th Jan 2016 15:28
Here is the video!

And no, I'm not using the percentage system since this will be a desktop game! It will require a resolution of 1024x768, since I want the game to have that old 4:3 aspect ratio!

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 12th Jan 2016 21:45
So, I have added support for different tiles, and soon I will have player start markers, keys, doors and other objects for the game!

Here is a screenshot that shows the new additions!

The levels can saved, loaded, modified and saved again. Very close to being able to work on the actual game itself!

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2016 22:35
I really like how you have laid out your menu on the level editor
It is evolving nicely!

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 13th Jan 2016 02:14
Thank you!

I just did some more changes to the interface, I decided to make the app run at 1280x800 now, in order to test how easy it would be to make it work in the game itself which will run at 1024x768.

I also spent the day refactoring the code QUITE extensively, and optimizing where I can. Unfortunately, I created some bugs in the process which will need sorted out, which will be saved for Friday which is my next day off. Tomorrow if I have time I will try to post the first demo of the editor, just so people can get a feel for what I'm doing!

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 18th Jan 2016 20:09
I have come up with a general-purpose GUI system which will enable me to do a lot more with the editor, once I finish up the GUI code.

I needed the ability to have panels which houses buttons, and I also wanted buttons to have tooltips. This has been completed, although I have yet to figure out a proper way to have the panels store the buttons in an efficient way.

I will post a screenshot tonight after work!

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 19th Jan 2016 04:31
As promised, here are the new screenshots.

The editor now runs at 1024x768, which is what the game will run at. The graphics will be minimally detailed, so it should scale nicely.

This is what the GUI looks like...

And here, the mouse is hovering a button, which then displays the tooltip!

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2016 19:50
Its looking good

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Feb 2016 02:49
So, while I didn't complete my goal (like not even 10% ), I did manage to get an idea of where I want to take this game, and how I want to develop it. With the upcoming AppGameKit 2.0.17 update I will hopefully be able to make some really cool stuff for GUI and things like that for a custom game engine I am building for this game. I am still debating whether or not I want to convert it to 3D or keep it 2D, we will have to see what I feel like in a week or so.
Slowly compiling code, one byte at a time.
Follow meh blague for more zany thoughts and possibly offensive programming!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:30:48
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:30:48