Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / I need some advice about a project...

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2016 18:46
The project is for a silent auction during a fundraising dinner. The participants will be texting name and bid amounts to an email account.

I would like to automatically grab this data as it comes in, but I don't have a clue where to start. Can AGK2 even get access to emails or text messages?

I did this same thing a few years ago, and I just got the texts on my phone, and input the bids manually, using a DBPro program to keep track of the bids. I used DBPro because of the sandbox write restrictions of AppGameKit at the time. Then I used a concurrently running AppGameKit program on a second computer to read and display the auction leader board on big screen monitors, live during the event.

I would also like to use AGK2 for the bid tracking, but I'm not sure I can write to an external location. I will try SetRawWritePath(), hopefully that will do the trick. I'm writing to a network attached hard drive.

Anyway, if anybody has any thoughts on capturing text messages sent to an email address, I would be grateful for the advice.

Rich
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2016 20:12
i would google "email api"
my guess is you'll have to use tier2 to access it but that's just a guess

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2016 20:17
Thanks blink0k.

It's looking like AGK2 won't be usable for this project after all.

I don't think I can write or read from an external drive with AGK2.

I can use ChooseRawFile() to get to the data, but that's not going to help with automated real-time retrieval of the data.

I'm investigating the http file download, but I'm not sure how to reference a local file with this.

Any thoughts?

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2016 20:31
are you using tier-1 or tier-2?

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2016 20:49
I'm using Tier 1, but the whole thing is moot now.

I'm going to have my bid manager program write out an html format file on every bid update, and have a browser auto-refresh read the file every 5 seconds. Voila!

Since my browser can reach any file on my network, I don't have to worry about the sandbox "feature" of AGK2. And I can set my browser window to full screen, so no borders.

Sometimes the simple solutions are the best!
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2016 20:54
sounds great! good luck

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2016 19:10
Why not use SetRawWritePath( str ) ?
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2016 08:32 Edited at: 15th Jan 2016 08:42
Quote: "Why not use SetRawWritePath( str ) ?"

Well, yes, I will be using that to write the data file. But reading the data from another location on the network doesn't seem to be working.

I suppose I could just write to the "sandboxed" area on the displayer computer, so it could find the data easily.

Yeah, I might try that.

EDIT: Well, how about that? Using SetRawWritePath() works great. I didn't realize that setting the write path affected the read path as well. Just gotta remember to clear the SetFolder().

Thanks DA, your post made me go back and look at the problem again!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2016 12:31
AGK uses 2 folders at all times. One read folder and one write folder. It will always write to the write folder and always look for files to read first in the write folder (the write folder have both read and write). The read folder is always the program's own folder (with a default to "/media").

You are welcome
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2016 23:19
Just as a comment, in Tier 2 you can use non-AGK commands to do things in directories outside the two AppGameKit restricts itself to (for good reason).
Cheers,
Ancient Lady

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 12:51:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 12:51:21