Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Music glitch on some android devices

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I bought a new phone and i noticed my game has problems in it.

I Just bought a galaxy J5 and this is the first device that I noticed the bug. I have tested my game in several other phones both old and new, and this only seem to happen in the J5 (both mine and my gf's. probably happens in similar phones though).
Basically it happens every time I call PlayMusic() with a music that is loud from the beginning or if I seek to the middle of the music right after calling PlayMusic() . It happens even if music and sound volume is set to 0, there is a short loud wheezing, maybe 0.1 second. it even made the phone's sound stop working once, until I restarted it. It happens with .ogg and mp2 formats, but not with m4a. Unfortunately, there are other worse bugs that happen when seeking m4a so i cant use it.

the game is in the play store in case anyone want to reproduce it: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lumni.tetrajump
you can reproduce it by entering and exiting the in game store from the main menu for instance (since that makes the music change).

I'd appreciate any ideas.

I use tier 2 and agk v2.0.15. J5 runs Android 5.1.1 with ART enabled

Preben
AGK Studio Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi lumni,

Yes it depends on the device if it has support for the format your trying to play ( and how good the support is ), you should convert everything to mp3 to make sure it will work on all devices
best regards Preben Eriksen,
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2016 11:06
Quote: "I Just bought a galaxy J5 "

I got one a month ago and found 2 more issues...

No Gyroscope. You can detect up/down movement, but not rotational movement
Only accepts 2 multitouch points! Even though it is technically possible to have 5, they have limited it to 2.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2016 11:20
Except if you use MP3 you'll need to pay $2500 in licence fees per title

M4A is the way to go I think. I had previously been using MP2 audio (no licence fee), with an mp3 file extension (MP3 is backwards compatible with MP2), but I have since discovered that not all handsets support MP2 (most notably the Sony Experia range).
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
lumni
Years of Service
User Offline
exactly, there appears to be no option that solves all problems.
I really like agk but there are so many bugs and important features missing that I think i'm gonna switch to unity for my next games.
Preben
AGK Studio Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
CJB: its not you the developer that have to pay the licence fee , its the manufacture ( of the device ) that pay the fee to have the device support mp3 playback ( the device decode ).

lumni: why switch to unity , what bugs and missing features are you looking for ?

Preben
AGK Studio Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
forgot licence:
Quote: "we've been in touch with MP3 licensing and they have said the license is only applicable if the MP3 files are available separately. "
->.
So no problem on android and ios where you have a single file and the actually .mp3 file is not available , on windows you need to pack your files / media into a single exe so the mp3 is not available directly.

lumni
Years of Service
User Offline
nice to know that about mp3 licensing. i guess ill try that, thank you.

well, for instance ads integration is very poor, I cant run chartboost rewarded videos, I have trouble also with admob (which I asked for help here (https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/214246) and never got any answers. Facebook api is ancient and works partially, no twitter, too few 2d physics commands and a few other stuff. I know agk folks work really hard and the amount it has improved in 1 year (since i bought it) is amazing, but i cant understand them focusing in 3d instead of these really necessary stuff. I needed an engine that was quick to develop 2d in and that i could effectively monetize, if i wanted 3d i would've chosen unity or unreal with 97629389023 features. agk isnt bad, maybe it just doesnt fit my needs. also unity 2d is really fast now and having experince with bigger engines may be worth a job in the area eventually.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2016 12:07 Edited at: 12th Feb 2016 12:10
Quote: ""we've been in touch with MP3 licensing and they have said the license is only applicable if the MP3 files are available separately. ""
Ooh! Nice! I must have missed that. Is that from TGC? [edit] Never mind.. I just saw your tiny link
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2016 11:32 Edited at: 13th Feb 2016 11:35
NOPE!

You must pay for a game license if you distribute 5000 or more copies of a game: http://mp3licensing.com/royalty/games.html

I recommend using m4a for mobile devices and mp2 for PC as that works without installing drivers. Don't know what's best for Mac but I think both works.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 11:21:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 11:21:20