Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / NEED HELP! Object not responding to light

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everybody.

I had a 3D model that was ripped from somewhere, but when it was loaded in DBPRO, the model did not respond in any way to directional or point light.

I ripped it using Noesis, exported to .fbx, then converted to .x using 3DS Max.

Can anybody take a look at it and see what's wrong?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2016 12:05
I just quickly took a look at this - it does respond to a point light so your probably not setting it up right in the code, however the lighting of the faces are really really really bad, so as a quick test I grabbed the mesh from the object(using DBP commands) and made a fresh object from it and the lighting appears correct, the normal's appear to have been smoothed(as opposed to faceted) so I doubt the problem lies with altering the normal's of the mesh itself - when DBP grabs the mesh it lifts the normal's data from the objects mesh. Currently I don't have a workflow for animated media from sources other than what I would create from scratch in Blender(3d model editing software) but I suggest 2 things that may help you suss this out for yourself. Firstly setup a DBP program with just primitives such as spheres complete with lighting as you intend, then place your model into that scene so you can see everything is set up correctly. Secondly play around with various export settings in both Noesis and 3DS Max. It might help if you upload the .fbx file so others who have editing software can take a look and see if their software does a better job of it. Max is not something everyone can afford - a lot of users will be using free alternatives. It may even be the case that the source you ripped it from presents problems or even Neosis. The nearer to the source you located the object from the better, along with a list of all steps you took, if there are different versions or plugins for Neosis and 3DS Max then list what those are. Also let us know what version of DBP you have, ie the free version made available from the TGC website(or purchased) or the version used to create GameGuru made available on Github, oh and the upgrade/update version of DBP your using aswell - overall the more information the better. Be prepared for the possibility that there is no solution, or even a half solution such as grabbing the mesh in DBP then rigging bones and do your own animations in software using a work flow that is known to work 100%, this may not turn out to be the case, could just be a relatively simple setting on export for all we know at this stage. You may get more responses if you re posted this issue on the DBP board rather than here, maybe just a post with a link to here would suffice
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
I see, thanks for the tips. I'll make a new thread later in DBPro forum.

I'm using Dark Basic Professional - Version 1.0761, free version
It was updated with the latest update from the website.

I used Autodesk 3DS Maz 2011 64bit version
I'll include the Noesis that I used, and the kwxport plugin that was used to convert the .fbx into .x
Here's also the .fbx of the model

Noesis doen'st seems to have options for lighting.
The model seems lit normally in 3DS Max (.fbx), but I'm not sure if there are parameters for lighting that 3DS Max able to use, while DBPro cannot (or just out of range)
I tried to assign diffuse texture to the model in 3DS Max, and other things, but to no avail. It could be the normals.

It'll be great if someone can take a look at the .fbx model too. I asked my friend who's studying computer graphics, but he also had no idea (although he just joined). I'm kind of stuck in this for a year now

Attachments

James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2016 01:29 Edited at: 10th Feb 2016 01:29
Hello again, the solution was very simple and I should definitely have caught it first time round, sorry - all that was required was to color the object(or add a texture);

hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2016 11:25 Edited at: 10th Feb 2016 11:41
Thanks for the help! Your code indeed lights up the model using the point light.

That is very strange, considering I set up the model in my code exactly the same way.

I did use Evolved's bump and normal mapping, don't know if it's causing the problem, but I think it's not the cause because primitive objects that I create using DBPro internal command still responds to all the lights.
And I didn't even apply the shader to the models

That model, and other models that I exported the same way as that model, they all only responded to ambient light.
Even if I texture or colour them.

I know that removing the Evolved shaders might remove the problem, but I need the shader

Here's the project folder. Just in case if you can spot the problem.
I really wish we don't have to remove the shader

Attachments

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2016 00:33
Have you checked the texture mapping? I haven't checked your model myself but I'd have a look at it in uv mapper classic.
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I have abandoned the conversion to .x using 3DS Max.

Instead, I used Milkshape 3D to load the .fbx file, and export it as .x
That fixed the weird lack of lighting

That's sweeping the matter under the carpet
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
Also, I noticed that if an object is scaled excessively, it became black, not responsive to light anymore

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 16:00:17
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 16:00:17