Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / New guy, a few annoying questions.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am playing around trying to learn a few things atm, hitting a few hurdles, was hoping someone might be able to clear it up for me.

I just downloaded AppGameKit from steam, and none of the code snippets from here seem to work, all error out.

First question, for included files, i cannot seem to include from a sub-directory, such as, i create a directory Libs in my project main directory it sits alongside media, then i attempt to include a Sprite.agc file like this.
#include "Libs/Sprite.agc"

and get the error error: Failed to open file for reading Libs/Sprite.agc

Can we not include files from sub-directories ?

Next i was playing around with StartTextInput() and this is from the tutorial

Unfortunately, we have no control over the position of the text box when it appears on the screen.

Is this really the case ? what if i wanted a UI that contained a chat area with text input and a chat display, does AppGameKit allow that function, and if so, what would be the commands to set up a simple chat area ui ?

Sorry for the annoying questions, any help anyone could offer would be appreciated.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2016 22:31 Edited at: 29th Jan 2016 22:31
Welcome
Quote: "and get the error error: Failed to open file for reading Libs/Sprite.agc

Can we not include files from sub-directories ?"

This is possible, I do it all the time. Have you saved the project file yet? Maybe you moved the folder from one place to another?

Quote: "Next i was playing around with StartTextInput() and this is from the tutorial"

This is a very basic command, and has been superseded by CreateEditBox(). It takes a bit more setting up, but will do what you describe. You can have multiple Edit Boxes on screen at the same time. Check the help files for all the associated commands.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Nerdcoding
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "This is possible, I do it all the time. Have you saved the project file yet? Maybe you moved the folder from one place to another?"

I saved it, this is a brand new Test project for me to learn the way to include correctly, i added the Sprite.agc file by using File-> New File, but then i manually created the Libs directory

Still will not allow the include

And i now see the CreateEditBox, thankyou
Nerdcoding
Years of Service
User Offline
I actually found the problem, when saving a new file you have to enter the extention of .agc in the save dialog, it does not do it automatically, so the file was saved as Sprite, not Sprite,agc thanks for your help
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2016 11:35
Quote: "you have to enter the extention of .agc in the save dialog"

Ah yes, I'd forgotten that I also make that mistake every time!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 08:31:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 08:31:21