Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK IDE questions/problems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2016 17:20
I posted this question on the AppGameKit Mac forum but that doesn't seem to get much traffic so I'm reposting here. Apologies if that is wrong.

I am using the demo downloaded from Steam, V2.09 and it appears to be riddled with bugs. It keeps asking me where to install additional files whenever I launch the program. It does not save my preferences or the recent files/projects list. I always have to set the font size every time I start it.

Are these problems related to V2.09 or the demo? I really like the AppGameKit language but I am hesitant to buy it because of all the problems with the IDE.

Thanks,

Phil
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2016 20:03
I have only rarely used the Mac IDE, but I didn't experience any problems. It is the cross-platform Geany so should be the same as Windows.

AGK has made huge leaps forward in the last couple of releases in terms of stability and the Kickstarter goals being completed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
pjsmith67
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2016 20:26
I got it figured out, I think. I was using the View menu to change the font which wasn't saving between sessions. I changed it using the preferences dialog and that worked and then magically all my other issues went away.

My guess is that until you actually change/save something in preferences, it doesn't create a user preferences file.

Now I have another question... there is no debugger in this version. Am I correct that the most current version of AppGameKit as the debugger? I've seen references to it in other threads.

Thanks,

Phil
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2016 21:12
Yeah, the debugger is in a later version, sometime after 2.0.10. You really can't properly judge the quality of AppGameKit from such an old build if you ask me. I'm not sure but that could be like a year old? Use it more to figure out if it suits your style, not what features it has or how stable it is.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 4th Feb 2016 22:25
When I first bought AppGameKit in November of 2014, I was on a Mac, and had exactly the same issues settings the fonts, and color schemes.

It never occurred to me to try changing it in the preferences, but I imagine your theory is correct about Geany not generating the preferences file under OSX. Apple has weird security stuff.

But yes, the debugger works fantastic in the latest version, and trust me, AppGameKit is well worth the money. The next update sometime later this month will add some awesome terrain/landscape commands so it's getting more and more powerful with each update!
Slowly compiling code, one byte at a time.
Follow meh blague for more zany thoughts and possibly offensive programming!
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2016 23:37
i would buy it just for the broadcasting capability. saves hours and hours of time

pjsmith67
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2016 04:06
I have dabbled with Unity, Corona, Gideros, V-Play and AGK. So far, AppGameKit is by far the easiest to work with.

I've accomplished more tonight with AppGameKit then I have with all the others combined.

Phil
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2016 10:00
pjsmith67:
Since you have tried Unity. Why do you think AppGameKit is easier/better to work with?
pjsmith67
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2016 15:24
To quote a review I read on Unity (don't remember the link), "Unity is like having the keys of a Boeing 747 handed to you".

There's a lot of power there, but it takes a lot of time to harness it. I only spent a couple of hours playing around with it but I felt it was overkill for the kind of games I wanted to write. I just want to try my hand at some simple 2D games and go from there. And, based on the games I've seen in the gallery, there is a lot of room for me to grow with AGK.

I don't have a lot of time each day to work on this and AppGameKit, so far, gives me the biggest return with my time.

I also didn't like the fact that Unity took about 9GB of disk space!

Phil
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2016 18:15
OK, good to know. Thanks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 18:07:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 18:07:42