Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / my comp entry - "still no name" - screens inside!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 13:18
finally i decided to post some wip screenshots of my game..
the idea is simple: you are the alien in a little spacecraft flying around the room fighting the bad intruders cause they wanna destroy you and your station. (the aurora in the corner.. - was really hard to modell without real references...) - kill them all, stay alive and protect the pc... nothing really new so far.. only the control is a (i hope so) really new concept: arrowkeys-> flying forward/backward + slow sliding to avoid enemy fire
now the new thing: the yellow ring with the dot is your aiming point if you select a target and at the same time the distance to the center of the screen is your roation vector..(the green ring is the limit) reallly smoooth movement (you have to trust me.. cause the is no demo yet..someday next week maybe)

now the screens:

(all shots are direct from the game - just resized and brighten because of gamma problems..)

btw. if you have an idea for a name - post it
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 13:50
Bloody Fantastic. There's only one major problem though, in all of those screenshots I can't see the alien once and for it to have a decent chance of winning it needs "good use of the alien model". I hope you find a way to fit him in.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 14:05
That looks freakin awesome!

Sorta reminiscent of Toy Commander on the Dreamcast, you had lots of toy airplanes and cars and could fly about dogfighting stuff.

Can't wait to play it, I'm intruiged as to how you got the room looking so damn cool, hoping it'll work on my septic old GF2.

Van-B

Next time he runs past, GRAB HIM!
atair
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 14:46
use of the alien model is a problem.. the only way to really use the model is in a 3rd person-style game.. just an intro sequence where the alien takes off with the spacecraft isnt enough.. but till monday i have to do math (for university) - enought time to think of some ways to use it on the other hand - as far as i understood, from this whole competition alienware is expecting a game they can use for commercial purposes - and an aurora as gameplay element cant be wrong there.. who knows..
ps: requirements wont be high..(i know this is relative..) i will try to hold the polycount below 30000 + there are no hardware lights, reflection maps, etc. - just 2stage-texturing - the screens with lots of enemys (they cause the low framerate) are just "load tests" - in the final version there will be around 15-20 at the same time in the level..
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 22:07
WOW!
How did you get the rooms looking so amazing???
The action looks sooo fun! When will this be finished?
What did you use for the rooms btw?

WOW!

Visit our new site! : http://www.megatoncreations.tk

If life throws you a grenade...pull the pin and throw it back!
Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 23:38
LOOKS AWESOME!! , you're using a high camera fov or something cuz the pics look a bit wierd to me, but great job

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce 4 Ti4400 128mb ddr sdram

http://www.apollostudio.nl/
atair
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 00:05
i played around with the fov.. but the problem is - a high fov is the only way the simulate speed.. when using a fov of 90 your brain would say - i am slowly walking/flying around..
in your brain the fov is compared to that what you see (a tall building or a loudspeaker) .. you "know that a room is about 3/4 meters high.. fov 90 is okay there - but i try to make it look like 20 meters - the only solution is a higher fov
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 00:20
I don't know, the last time a DB game looked awesome it was a Fake...

I hope that this isn't the case now cause it does look awesome!

Amist the Blue Skies...
Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 00:37 Edited at: 13th Dec 2003 02:36
1) i like the high fov it makes it look like the camera in a bubbel

2) i do`t think this is a fake. ever thing i`m seeing can be do`n on DBpro.

--Dr 0--

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 01:54
'Sorta reminiscent of Toy Commander on the Dreamcast, you had lots of toy airplanes and cars and could fly about dogfighting stuff.'

I was just thinkin the same thing! Good work, and keep it up

Benjamin R Wharton
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 14:51
Looking fantastic! Though, the alien is missing. Mabe, when your ship gets shot down, the alien walks (parachutes would look cool) out and you have to find another ship...

Morfy's Law - Enythink thet ken go rong willll.
Cole's Law - Thinly sliced cabbage.
Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 14:58
maybe you could set some team-mates in it(aliens in ships which can be clearly seen) or some thing like that

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce 4 Ti4400 128mb ddr sdram

http://www.apollostudio.nl/
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 15:09
wow! looking really,really nice!

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 16:21
Wow, very good, I like the room, but I like the HUD better.

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
doffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks very nice
Looks like dogfighter, but hey, thats a nice game so...

Looking forward to the final game.

Denmark Denmark Denmark.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 17:54 Edited at: 13th Dec 2003 18:02
Looks reasonably jaw-dropping. Are there different weapons? Even just having homing missiles or something would really improve the variety. And what type of objects did you use for those bullets? I'm really stumped on how to do a trail effect on mine. WELL DONE!

Name ideas: ROOM RAIDERS or BEDROOM BLASTATHON

Do you bite your thumb at me sir?

Athelon XP 1600 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 19:58
screen interface is too much I think. Take out some of those circles. Other than that, it looks great. Question is, is it fun?
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2003 17:37 Edited at: 14th Dec 2003 17:42
You need an idea on how to include the alien?

The rules state that you can modify the alien mesh as per rule 16 here:
Quote: "You are allowed to change the mesh and texture of the Alien model as you see fit, but remember it must stay extremely recognisable."

So, stick a jet pack on his/thier back and have him/them flying around the room in a dogfighting stylie

There is no copyright on this idea (LOL ) feel free to use it.

As for a name; consider this: The aliens will be very small compared with the room. So, set up a storyline about how a race of aliens decided to invade Earth but due to a gross miscalculation of scale etc. etc. Then call it Nanowars or something similar.

GOD exists and his name is Jonny Wilkinson

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2003 23:16
Yeah.
They thought that SCALE OBJECT was measure in centimetres.

Alien Rampage ---->>> http://www.geocities.com/alienware_competition <<<---- All the cool kids are playing it.
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 11:03
Put the alienware logo on the ships or something-perhaps add a 3rd person element whereby you can exit the ship and run round...

ZEDWARE website coming soon... //END TRANSMISSION//
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 11:07
Just put aliens in all the ships and have some running around on the floor wiht guns.

Alien Rampage ---->>> http://www.geocities.com/alienware_competition <<<---- All the cool kids are playing it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 16:39:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 16:39:28