Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Fullscreen to windowed from within the app?

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2016 16:01
Commercial desktop games allow the user to change resolutions, as well as switching from "windowed" to "fullscreen" mode from within the app.

Can AppGameKit 2 do that?

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2016 16:59
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/216483
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2016 17:10
Batvink's link is *not* an answer to my question, unless the answer he means is "no".

Think of any commercial game.
settings > graphics > resolution >
800x600
1024x768
1280x720

etc.

*that* is what I am asking about.

Allow the user to set the resolution, and possibly even the "windowed or fullscreen" from within the game, which every game I can think of *can* do.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2016 17:19
The answer is "No". AppGameKit doesn't give you that level of full-screen control (yet).
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2016 18:13
ok, thanks for truth.

I am playing with the % system right now.

But no matter what you do, there will always be some who complain about it...
"what , no full screen?!" , "what, only fullscreen?!" , "I accidentally closed the game by clicking on the big red 'X' at the top right!" , etc.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2016 21:01
You can switch between fullscreen and windowed and change the resolution with SetWindowSize( width, height, fullscreen )

However, AppGameKit doesn't currently support a backbuffer of a different size than your view. This means that if you use a resolution lower than fullscreen you will get a window instead.

I would not recommend using the percentage system myself. Pick a virtual resolution, use SetScissor( 0, 0, 0, 0 ) and use the GetScreenBounds commands.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2016 21:11
OK, ignoring the frosty reception to my first attempt to help, this code shows how you can solve half of the challenge - changing window size. You don't need to change the virtual resolution, but it is an option.
For full/windowed, you'd need a restart of the application after the choice is made. But I believe this is still quite normal for many games.

DBPro has a DISABLE SYSTEMKEYS option, but I don't think we have that in AppGameKit to prevent an early exit. The red X is the same as Alt F4 in Windows.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
TutCity is being rebuilt
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2016 21:22
I read DA's post after mine, and realised you can also set full screen (thanks DA, I had assumed that setting fullscreen was only possible at the start of the program!). Here is the amended code.
If you want full screen and a lower resolution, then you can set the Virtual Resolution to be lower than the device resolution.

TutCity is being rebuilt
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2016 14:01 Edited at: 29th Aug 2016 14:05
I am going to come back in on this thread
...because...

AGK2 does what i want!

since i upgraded to the new version, i found found many new great features and even released my first android app!

Thanks TGC!

Bob

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 11:18:04
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 11:18:04