Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Spriter Issues - Json files loaded in AGK seem very fragile

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2016 15:35 Edited at: 19th Feb 2016 15:55
I've had issues with exported json files form Spriter to AppGameKit 2.0.16.

I think I've zeroed in on the problem:

If you add an object to an animation in the spriter entity that doesn't exist in another animation within the same entity that animation will not work. Sometimes it seems just changing the Z order in different animations breaks the animation as well. It also sometimes seems irreversible, so deleting the added instance (object) doesn't help, but sometimes it does.

The animations work fine within spriter (Pro v4.1) and never break down in there, only when loaded by AGK.

They just seem very fragile, you have to constantly test an animation in AppGameKit as soon as you change something in Spriter to make sure it hasn't broken down.

If needed I can upload a broken json here

Hopefully I'm just doing something wrong...

Edit: I just added an object to an animation within an entity and instead of breaking the animation the program crashed when compiled and launched by AppGameKit instead

Edit 2: It seems to be the Z order that does this. If you move the newly added object to the bottom of the Z order (again, sometimes) you instead of getting a completely broken animation you end up with a slightly broken animation, and the new object doesn't show up. So maybe it's something to do with the bone-order being used from the first animation then when that changes in another animation it breaks down.

Edit 3: I've uploaded two .scon files. One that works and one that doesn't. The broken one has an object added to "idle" animation first in the Z order. If you need to see them in a project I will upload that too
My hovercraft is full of eels

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2016 14:47
Unfortunately AppGameKit does not support varying numbers of objects per keyframe. If you add an object then it must be present in every frame of that animation, but you can hide it so it doesn't show in certain frames.
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2016 14:55
Would it be possible to add in atlas support for spriter?
lilpissywilly
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2016 13:44
Thanks Paul. I'm gonna see if this fixes my issues
lilpissywilly
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2016 14:02
There has got to be more issues than just the not supporting objects being added mid animation. That issue causes the AppGameKit app to crash, but there are other times when the sprites end up scrambled but not crashing the app. These look like bone orders have changed or something, maybe the Z order thing. It's hard to confirm
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2016 15:31
Any change to the structure or hierarchy will cause problems, AppGameKit assumes the bone structure does not change across key frames.
lilpissywilly
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2016 17:32
Also AppGameKit doesn't allow more than one object to be created from the same image. Another good thing to know. IE you need an image per object even if it's identical
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2016 11:14
I keep coming back to Spriter because it would be great to get this working.

AGK seems to struggle with the simplest of files. I can load the example Grey Guy file and it works, make changes etc. But if I start a new project which is a simple test file, making a square expand and shrink, nothing displays.

Attached is a simple file, that doesn't work.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 11:26:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 11:26:39