Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / AGKv2 Terrain mod - 5 detail textures, texture key, colourmap

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2016 23:18 Edited at: 24th Feb 2016 23:28
Hi All,

Been playing with the funky new terrain features, nice!

Had to be done... 5 detail texture and colourmap version...

Works by using all 4 channels on a key texture, this allows 4 textures plus a default detail texture... this would be the texture that you'd use the most. The texture key is a bloody nightmare to make in an art package... the shader has a DBPro counterpart and in progress terrain editor that will support these.

I wonder if we can convince Paul to add terrain vertex adjustments, then we won't have to worry about heightmap greyscale stepping. If I have time, I'll add a memblock generator function to create the key texture, then it'll be better for people who just want to get stuck in and not worry about decorating terrains so much.

Please post any further mods you do, improvements to the shader, better example, whatever - collaboration yielded the best results with DBPro terrains, back in the long ago

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Jeff Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2016 01:04
I would appreciate something akin to the DBPro Advanced Terrain system, where you load an overall color texture as well as the detail texture. The overall texture you would create made the areas that were to be, say, dirt roads the color you would expect of dirt roads, grass areas looked like grass areas, etc. I am not wild about coloring an entire terrain based primarily upon its elevation. Incidentally, you can still download Wendigo's somewhat elevational texturing program for Advanced Terrain, Strata Works, here: http://www.wendigosoft.com/projects-strataworks.html. It has several useful detail textures and others.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2016 07:50
Will have a look at that - I've been looking for a good free colour map baker.

This uses a colour map texture over the whole terrain... in fact if you just texture the terrain with the colour map and add a default detail texture it would be pretty much the advanced terrain we're used to but never completely happy with.

My terrain editor uses slope maps, which allow more organic colouring and texturing, as the height and slope are used as Y and X on the slope image, so it gives a lot of control.
Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 17:39
looks nice van b!!! agk and its 3d opened up alot of opportunities for the indie app developers! what we really need is a good world builder now
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 17:21
Quote: "...what we really need is a good world builder now"

I'm thinking the same thing - the terrain editor I'm working on is in DBPro, but it's damn close to WYSIWYG as the shaders are pretty much identical. I want to add geometry next, almost got the lake water shader how I like it (at least for DBPro)... it actually wouldn't take much to have it able to export the heightmaps for AppGameKit terrains, worth a test at least - it would take care of those colourmaps and texture keys nicely too. Of course, I'll post anything useful I come up with.
Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 19:09
That sounds like an awesome tool! a world builder to place objects and make maps would be great since I cant find one that suits my needs, and products like 3d world studio have all been discontinued. which means I get to make my maps by for loops...... ill definitely keep an eye out for anything that you come up with. I would make a world builder myself but I'm far to limited on time at the moment.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 06:05:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 06:05:39