Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Creating a Windows distributable exe or installer?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I compiled on Windows and then sent the resulting .exe to my son to test on his PC. It just opens what appears to be the AppGameKit Player, but not the app like it would on my PC?

Are there some special steps I need to go through to export a windows exe or distributable?
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2016 17:59
You also need to include the media folder. That holds the media and the bytecode file.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2016 21:49
You'll notice the executable has a date older than the date you compiled the program. This is the standard executable for the AppGameKit release you have compiled on. Like DA says, take a look at the bytecode.byc file in the media folder, this contains your app.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
pprem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 08:34
Hi

You must ZIP the exe and media folder or make a setup with a Windows setup builder like Inno Setup, NSIS, Advenced Installer or other one.

If you want to distribute the program, don't forgot to sign it with a certificate. So it will pass Windows alerts from download and installer.

If you want to change the exe icon, you can use IconFX. Simple program I use for creating icon files and changing default icon from applications.
--
Patrick P.
http://www.developpeur-agk.fr/
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 08:38
Paul is currently working on adding icon support for Windows and MacOS built into AGK.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 10:17
It should be a simple task to tag the bytecode onto the end of the exe, and then get the player to run the bytecode from the same file (just by seeking the to start of the bytecode). I guess this was planned for this release, but never made it. Hopefully we'll see it in the next release.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
bigtunacan
Years of Service
User Offline
pprem,

Thanks so much for the extra information on how to package and distribute it as well as changing the icon. Very helpful!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 11:29:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 11:29:57