Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Who's got certification?

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2016 20:42
Just curious, who's got computer certs? And who thinks they're pointless? I just got my Security+ the other day, it was a requirement for a job I've applied for. I don't like how these certifications have expiration dates now.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2016 22:34
I am SQL Server certified - pointless
Project Manager certified - essential
Certified in specific products - essential if you work with these products for external clients, but no real value in them

Uncertified in Java, C#, .NET, IIS and various other languages and technologies that I use every day, and nobody asks. If you can use them and provide the desired solution, then the client isn't interested if you are certified or not.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2016 01:20
Maybe not the client but HR does. I got turned down for an interview before because I didn't have A+. I was like seriously?

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2016 13:03
Quote: " I got turned down for an interview before because I didn't have A+. I was like seriously?"

Lol. Probably better off not working for them.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2016 00:58
I've got network+, from what I've seen certs matter most to get you through hr. The people you actually work for only care that you can do the work.

My mom has PMP and it has been a huge asset for her.

The expiration is a little hassle bit it ensures that you keep current with the progress of the field, most have things you can do to get credits towards renewal to avoid having to test again.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2016 23:53
Does a University degree count? If so, then yes!
Senior Software Engineer - RotoGrinders
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2016 02:56
Does getting a high grade in 7th grade programming class several years ago count?
"Several pink flashing gorillas chased me from the chocolate covered mushroom stand"
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2016 17:32
Sorry, a degree doesn't count. Why? Because despite having a BS in computer science, I was denied an interview for not having A+. So therefore I don't count yours! :p

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2016 09:58
Got a couple of them but don't want to feed my vanity

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 17:57:48
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 17:57:48