Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [7DRLC] - The Dimension Cube Labyrinth - [AGK2]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2016 18:14 Edited at: 7th Mar 2016 18:28

The Dimension Cube Labyrinth
You find yourself trapped in what appears to be an infinite labyrinth, in a pocket dimension unbound by time and space! You must solve the puzzle and free yourself or be trapped for all eternity!

Hey forumnknights! Some of you may know or not know that this week is the 7 Day RogueLike Challenge(<--link), where you have 7 days to create a rogue like game. It is a fun competition that brings in hundreds of programmers and games. I love rogue like games and it's fun to come up with new and exciting concepts. Randomly generated games are something all indie developers should get into building, as working alone on a project or with just a few people, allows you to create amazingly deep and large games without actually having to 'build' worlds from the ground up.

I started designing my game Sunday and plan to start building it during my spare time this week, between new jobs and freelance work.

Here's some of my initial concept designs:

Also, I'm looking for a programmer to help out with the project and maybe turn this into a serious game, later sell on a market or two. The game mechanic designs are unique and I think players will have allot of fun with it. So if anyone wants to team up for an awesome indie rpg adventure, let me know or drop me an email.

If not, I'll try to get a demo working be the end of the week, try and drum up some interest and than maybe get my programmer.

Cheers everyone!
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 7th Mar 2016 19:27
I like the look of the concept art.
Are you planning on this being a 2D or 3D game?
If 3D are you thinking about using physics?
I can offer some programming assistance if it will be 3D with physics.
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2016 22:43
It'll be 3D, first-person camera view, with a Pixar solid color style look. The game will play similar to the Elder Scrolls games with a minimum amount of gui elements on screen. Never thought of adding physics to the combat (I assume?) The later Elder Scroll games had a physics system added to their combat and it gave it a whole other dimension. I wasn't expecting to get that complicated for this 7 day challenge, but for the final project that's a great idea! Or just adding it for maybe rag-dolls or basic objects. One of the room types are puzzle room and trap room, so using a physics system for like falling rocks or a pressure plate puzzle would be cool to have.

I wanted to give you a gameplay overview, it's not your typical first person rogue like dungeon crawler.

1// So basically the game starts with a simple character generator, it's a streamlined system where you're given two options at a time on screen and you just select which option using either the left mouse button ( 1st selection) or right mouse button ( 2nd selection). This is similar to Mass Effect 2's paragon/vanguard selection moments. Once you've done 3 selections, it generates your character's class and you give yourself a name, and you can put in a seed variable.

2// Next the game starts you off in the starting room. Each room is a large cube room and each room has a unique look based on the type of room. There's 4 doors leading to the next cube room, a door on each wall. In the middle of the room is your starting equipment and a Labyrinth Codex, an ancient artifact that will help you solve the puzzle that is the labyrinth.

3// The goal of the game is to navigate the rooms. When you enter a doorway, it closes behind you and locks so you're unable to go back. So after the starting room, each room has 3 options. Each room type is linked to 3 other specific types of rooms. So when you enter a room, to help you solve the puzzle, you should write down the type of room and once you enter a door way and see what that room type is, write down that one of the rooms that leads from you previous room is your current one...make sense? lol

SPOILER HINT:

4// In order to exit the Labyrinth with your life, you must defeat a portal boss who than drops an ancient key. With that key you must find an artifact room and open the artifact chest to grant you the 'portal key.' Once you get the portal key, you must find the portal room and use it to escape into your normal dimension. With the Codex object, it'll help you solve puzzles and learn the ancient language that you see carved in various rooms. These carvings, once you've unlocked it's secrets, will help you navigate the labyrinth with ease, encase you decided to come back for more!

5// Here's a list of all the portal rooms and their descriptions:

I// Monster Encounter Room - 3 different types, each one has a random encounter with Labyrinth creatures you must fight
II// Treasure Room - a room with random treasure, and sometimes contains an old blind goblin that sells random items he finds on his journey to map the entire Labyrinth
III// Trap Room - what it implies, be careful or be dead
IV// Puzzle Room - solve a puzzle to obtain rare items or keys
V// Boss Room - big baddie awaits you here! these beasts also drop an ancient key that allows you to find the portal key
VI// Artifact Room - this room holds the portal key, but without an ancient key you can never obtain it
VII// Item/Equipment Room - these rooms hold equipment, usually in the form of partial store fronts that were teleported into this pocket dimension, or off dead adventurers or baddies that did not fare too well in the Labyrinth
VIII// Message Room - these rooms contain strange blocks of ancient language. by translating them you'll unlock clues to escape or navigate the massive Labyrinth
VIX// Portal Room - this room is your way home and back into normal space/time - Once you've unlocked the ancient codex and language of the labyrinth, you can use this portal room to teleport anywhere in the Labyrinth

Alright, hope the gives you an idea how the game works. Hoping to make something fun and re-playable!

Later!
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2016 03:17
A couple more concept art to show some other aspects of the game before I start posting some in-game screenshots and new 3D media..

Cheers!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 15:01:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 15:01:39