Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Is there a way to automatically send SMS?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've noticed in these threads, that there are ways to pre-fill SMS text, but the user still had to press a button to send them.

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/213665

But is there a way to make the game send SMS without us pressing the send button?
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2016 17:41
I'd say no. It's a HUGE security risk and a big No No!
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok.

How about.... Is there a way to make AppGameKit send commands to a website so that the website send the SMS, instead of AppGameKit directly?
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2016 18:10 Edited at: 18th Mar 2016 18:10
Yes. You can send POST data to websites with the gethttprequest (I think) commands.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2016 19:52
BUT:
Quote: "It's a HUGE security risk and a big No No!"

There's likely regulations governing the automated sending of SMS messages. Maybe if you could provide some context behind what you are trying to achieve, someone could advise further?

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
For example, let's say you're playing a horror game that was made in AGK.

Suddenly your phone rang.

You check the message. There's an unread message from yourself:

'Don't look behind'

Wouldn't that be a cool/creepy gimmick?

Or when someone send you a message in a game world, then AppGameKit sends the message as SMS to your phone when you're away from your PC.
Would't that be really immersive? It's as if the game world and the real world are connected.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2016 07:34 Edited at: 19th Mar 2016 07:36
This was actually the premise of 1214 from last year, but I don't think it was ever completed.

“1214 is a psychological horror video game where your own mobile phone is your worst enemy. With your phone being the indispensable requirement to enjoy this adventure, we can offer new forms of gaming never before seen thanks to the numerous possibilities that smartphones can offer. So that, the development of new puzzles using the vibration of the phone, strange calls… the possibilities are almost endless. Plus, although you aren’t playing on your PC, that doesn’t mean the game can’t keep playing with you.”

Using the latest AppGameKit V2, you CAN set local notifications which will display a notice on the user's phone at a specified time in the future.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2016 13:48
You must keep in mind that SMS can cost money for the user. So it's a bad idea.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2016 14:15
There are less intrusive options like Whatsapp. Then the user must opt in to be a friend of the "message sender". And it is free.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2016 15:28
Quote: "There are less intrusive options like Whatsapp. Then the user must opt in to be a friend of the "message sender". And it is free."

But then you sort of miss the point of what hakimfullmetal wants to do.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2016 16:39
I get the point. I'm suggesting an alternative that doesn't get the response "just no".
I would never install a game that sent and received texts.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
TutCity is being rebuilt
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
Would Common Intent lets us use other apps to send things automatically?
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2016 19:31
I don't think AppGameKit supports intents...
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2016 12:14 Edited at: 21st Mar 2016 12:14
Quote: "Don't look behind'"

how about LocalNotifications?
there is a parameter datetime
SetLocalNotification( 10, 1482613200, "Don't look behind")
AGK (Steam) V2.0.17 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (15.30.1025) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 21st Mar 2016 12:30
I think Markus' idea is actually much creepier and would be more effective. I agree with that majority rule that an SMS wouldn't be favorable, especially since it still costs a lot of users money (which is ridiculous in 2016, but that's the way the world works).
Slowly compiling code, one byte at a time.
Follow meh blague for more zany thoughts and possibly offensive programming!
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2016 18:31
btw, i try LocalNotifications myself (with agk player) but nothing happens at my android phone!?
AGK (Steam) V2.0.17 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (15.30.1025) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2016 13:32
Quote: "especially since it still costs a lot of users money (which is ridiculous in 2016, but that's the way the world works)."

Actually most mobile phone subscriptions in Sweden have free SMS, MMS and calls these days. Only data is limited/payed for. It's so much cheaper to own a phone in Sweden now. I pay like half of what I used to a few years back and now get 4GB data every month with everything else free. And unused data transfers over to the next month. Almost everyone between 12 and 60 has a smartphone over here.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2016 14:57
Scandinavia are way ahead in the mobile industry, if you can't do it cheap then nobody can!
I've been to the museum in Linkoping, where they have one of the world's first Ericsson phones. They feel like a new technology company but have been around for over 120 years/
TutCity is being rebuilt
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2016 18:41
i guess sms is possible with http commands in agk and a sms service provider which have a web api interface.
i thinks its better if you have your own host app with a database in web what controls the outgoing sms and handle the input from client app.
the advantage is the agk app produce no cost and much people have a data tariff with internet access,
also there is no outgoing sms logging at phone.
the sms should also contains a reference to the game/app.
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
I guess notifications works too, although SMS would be on a whole different level of creepiness.

Just to make sure, notifications are just texts right? No pictures can be attached?

Because when I click on my phone normal notifications, it just brings me to its respective apps. I wonder if we can make a picture pops out when we click on notifications?
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2016 14:05
Just remember, people are wary of apps which request features not normally associated with apps. Even though you read/save to storage, some people whinge about the SD Card permission, and wonder why it asks for access to image libraries etc.

You could fake the notification by keeping it all within the game, like Eternal Darkness on the gamecube did. That had some amazing 4th wall breaking scares!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 13:33:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 13:33:57