Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Raspberry Pi BETA Testers wanted!

Author
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2016 21:00
Hi,

We have a Raspberry Pi beta version of AppGameKit ready and would like to select some trusted devs from our community to give it a test.

If you own a Raspberry Pi and can spare some time to check this new platform out then please get it touch with me;

rick@thegamecreators.com

Please let me know which version of the Pi you have when you email.

Thanks,

Rick
Development Director
TGC Team
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2016 22:47 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2016 22:55
interesting, me think about to buy a Raspberry Pi 3 this year, mainly because so much Sensor Modules (Kits (see Amazon.com)) for it, which open creative and stunning software projects.
http://eu.kano.me/products/kano-kit?variant=15317632772

what i need there in agk is accessing the camera/mic(sound sensor) in realtime, ultrasonic sensor data, relays modules, input switches, ...
just a info link to a german amazon site about some modules:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B014PF05ZA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0FG9GTRFPV9T1023D4DC&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=862808927&pf_rd_i=desktop
AGK (Steam) V2.0.17 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (15.30.1025) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
Does this mean we can finally program Raspberry Pi and make a robot out of it?

Finally

For the love of the god, somebody, help RIckV
Dybing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2016 13:32
AGK on a Pi? Do that mean that we can look forward to some proper IO serial communications commands soon?
sdl
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2016 20:00
Hi Rick,

Is there a chance to get a Windows Phone 10
Beta ?
Universal App ?
I have a Lumia 950 and a Lumia 535 for tests...

Font forget this great Plattform.

Sascha
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2016 21:36
Proper IO serial communication with AppGameKit on a raspberry would be awesome !
I have a PI 2, but no time ... maybe enough time for installing AppGameKit on it and testing one-two things but i guess thats not what u need.

Using AGKv2 Tier1
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2016 10:03
OT
i agree, commands for GPIO in AppGameKit is very nice to have for this device
AGK (Steam) V2.0.17 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (15.30.1025) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2016 13:55
I modified the file commands so they can access the GPIO pins, for example

However we don't support the I2C or SPI bus, if there is enough demand then we can have a look at adding commands to read/write those.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2016 15:09 Edited at: 24th Mar 2016 15:11
VERY Exciting!

Don't expect to simply count from 1...40

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Dybing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2016 16:43 Edited at: 24th Mar 2016 16:45
So when all said and done, not that different from how it's done on the Arduino IDE. I'm not that familiar with Pi, do some of those GPIO also double as Analogue IO? If so, will that be supported in AppGameKit as well? PWM support? How about the USB ports?

Either way, I see great opportunities with AppGameKit on Pi and having access to the GPIO on it. Now I just need get my mitts on a Pi and learn some of the black magic of linux :p
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2016 20:22
Quote: "do some of those GPIO also double as Analogue IO?"

All the pins are digital only, however some can be used as an I2C or SPI bus, which can convert analog signals to digital and then stream them as 0s and 1s. AppGameKit does not currently support these buses, but we can have a look at that if there are lots of people using these kind external modules that use these buses.

Quote: "PWM support?"

From what I've read the PWM output is shared with the audio, which complicates things, so it might be better to use I2C or SPI for that. Again it depends what the common use cases are.

Quote: "How about the USB ports?"

No direct access to the USB ports, but it does have USB controller support. I tested it with an XBox 360 controller and it worked out of the box.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2016 13:58 Edited at: 29th Mar 2016 11:41
Quote: "can access the GPIO pins"

fine

is there a way to get the camera buffer (without os dialog in realtime) ?, i saw the cam have a extra plug/cable.
edit: i read Camera interface is (CSI) and Display interface is (DSI)
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2016 19:52
Quote: "However we don't support the I2C or SPI bus, if there is enough demand then we can have a look at adding commands to read/write those."

I have a Raspberry PI 2 B and would like to read the SPI pins for the PICAN.
You think it is possible ?

Using AGKv2 Tier1
Dybing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2016 02:46
Quote: "I have a Raspberry PI 2 B and would like to read the SPI pins for the PICAN. You think it is possible ?"

I2C and SPI functionality (and my pet peeve, USB/UART) would be great and make things very much simpler when communicating with various devices. Though with access to all those GPIO pins, you could use an Arduino as an interface between your device, the Pi and AGK. You 'just' need to program your own transmission protocol on the Arduino and the corresponding code to receive and send in AGK. The problem here will naturally be in the timing, so it probably won't do for driving high-speed (>9600 baud) transmissions.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2016 08:31 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2016 14:19
btw, i got my first raspberry
its also possible to use a pc webcam via usb there with a command line tool.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/usage/webcams/

some info if your pi do not use/detect a full hd monitor (1920x1080) (and show a smaller resolution).
see "Which values are valid for my monitor?", there are commands for list all modes ..
http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#Video_mode_options
AGK (Steam) V2.0.18 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (15.30.1025) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
NotBlaine
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not that skilled or trusted... but here's why I'm throwing my hat in the ring.

Due to bizaarre circumstances, I'm currently using AppGameKit to build an app in Android and trying to network it to a Raspberry Pi running a python server.

I came to the forums to see if anyone can help me understand why my packets were coming through formatted like:

'data': '\x0b\x00\x00\x00Client37739',

When I'd expect there to be a float, string and client ID.

But... if I can just change the server to AppGameKit, then I'm already done. And that'd be awesome.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2016 21:43
I ordered a Pi 3 B today. 3 to 5 days expected delivery. If you are still after testers, I'll be glad to help
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2016 23:41
You might want to order a prototyping kit too if you are keen to use the GPIO. They cost about 7-8GBP and come with a breadboard, LEDs, switches and wires.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
TutCity is being rebuilt
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2016 21:14
My Pi arrive this morning! That was super speedy delivery - I ordered from that CPC place.

Thanks BatVink. I'll probably get the bits I need from Maplins as and when (if they even do bits of the pi3). As a test run I have just built myself an openELEC drive.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2016 23:34
Quote: "I ordered from that CPC place"

I just ordered more diodes, resistors and other goodies this morning. Ready for my big project

This is my Maplin rant from another discussion board...

Quote: "<RANT> I went to Maplin last week in Bradford, looking forward to spending my birthday voucher on something to play with over Easter. On the scale of Maplin quality outlets, this one doesn't make it into the top 100. They had no jumper leads, no Pi 3 GPIO connectors and the only breadboard that was in stock was 3 times the price :disappointed: They didn't have any Pi 3s or and Pi 3 accessories. They were still selling Pi 1s! I asked the assistant at the tecchie counter at the back of the shop for jumper leads and he looked completely blank at me. I need to move closer to a decent electronics shop! </RANT>"

Quote: "As a test run I have just built myself an openELEC drive."

I had to Google it...nice! I can see myself having a library of SD cards for different activities.
TutCity is being rebuilt
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2016 15:46
We're releasing to everyone on Thursday 21st April later this week!

Rick
Development Director
TGC Team
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2016 15:50 Edited at: 18th Apr 2016 15:51
My quick review is here - https://forum.thegamecreators.com/board/56
TutCity is being rebuilt
Dybing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2016 06:53
@Batvink: You should try ordering parts from 'the source' so to speak. Ebay got a ton of vendors from China and Hong Kong that sell just about everything you would want or desire in electronic components. Deliveries are usually quite snappish as well, 10 to 14 days in most cases. Prices are a fraction of what you'd pay here in Europe. My favourite vendor is banggood.com who run their own webshop - the only thing they are a bit weak on are the diversity of discrete components - ICs in particular. But that is where Ebay comes to the rescue.

I got a ton of stuff for my Arduino projects - all Chinese bought. Not a single problem so far. The only stuff I buy locally are the mains-powered gear. I don't trust cheap Chinese electronics with high voltage

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 09:17:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 09:17:17