Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Dark Lights and Dynamic Lights

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello community,

Anyone know how can I add Dynamic Lights over Dark Lights rendered lights? I can't seem to make them work even though i've set the stage of DL and Dynamic Lights enabled.

Thank You!
Alex Matei CEO
www.alexmatei.com
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 28th Mar 2016 22:26
Quote: "I can't seem to make them work even though i've set the stage of DL and Dynamic Lights enabled."

You might be able to do it using the set blend mapping on commands. Alternatively, the simplest solution would be to use a shader and simply add the dynamic lighting to the lightmap value before blending with the main texture.

Perhaps you could give us a simple short snippet showing what you tried?

You might need to use the advanced, undocumented, versions of the set blend mapping on command. These are briefly illustrated in Lee's Lerping Textures snippet in your DBPro/Projects/Snippets folder. [Actually, as I write this I think the standard documented version of the command might be sufficient - I'll experiment and report back. ]

Powered by Free Banners
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2016 00:28 Edited at: 30th Mar 2016 12:46
(*** Please see my next post where a new demo has been posted. The new code makes the demo more user friendly and corrects some errors. ***)

Done some testing and you can use the standard blending commands. Here's some sample code I used for testing. It's not quite finished because I can't quite get one case working as expected. (I've probably made a simple error - but it's late now. )

Press and hold keys 1,2, 3 or 4 to get different combinations of lighting and lightmapping. You'll need to supply your own object and textures of course.

Powered by Free Banners
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2016 12:54 Edited at: 30th Mar 2016 12:58
Here's a new version of the demo. Most of the options work as intended now.

I've added two new options so there are now 6 options altogether. I've also attached a copy of the media files so you can run my code and see what's happening.

I think option 1 is the main option you need.

Powered by Free Banners

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MateiSoft Romania
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Green Gandalf,

Thank you for your code and your patience to explain and sorry for the delay.

In my editor, i don't import the lightmap texture since it makes hundreds of images for the models in my scene. Thats why i didn't used set blend mapping on. If i have a lot more textures from light mapping how can i set the blend mapping with those?

Thank you!
Alex Matei CEO
www.alexmatei.com
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2016 11:45
Quote: "In my editor, i don't import the lightmap texture since it makes hundreds of images for the models in my scene. Thats why i didn't used set blend mapping on. If i have a lot more textures from light mapping how can i set the blend mapping with those?"

I had a horrible feeling that would be an issue.

The only solution I can think of is to use a shader. If you want only a few dynamic lights it should be easy to add both diffuse and specular effects to a lightmapped object - regardless of how many lightmap images there are. Would such a solution be acceptable?

Powered by Free Banners
MateiSoft Romania
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Green Gandalf,

Please , really, if you can make a shader( i saw that you are good at shaders ) that supports both light mapping from dark lights and dynamic lights from darkbasic pro, that will be an extraordinary thing(and a birthday gift, tomorrow is!) ) !

You are awesome!

Thank You!
Alex Matei CEO
www.alexmatei.com
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2016 14:53
You're welcome - and I'll try to have it ready for tomorrow.

Powered by Free Banners
MateiSoft Romania
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you very much again Green Gandalf!!!
Alex Matei CEO
www.alexmatei.com
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2016 16:49
And here it is! (I decided tomorrow might not be a good day to post it. )

The results look far better than seems to be possible using the built in blend mapping and lighting commands. The specular reflection now looks much better.

[Actually, I knew this already but wanted to see how far I could push DBPro on its own. ]

Sample code using my media already posted - note that the textures are automatically assigned to the right place when the object is loaded so it shouldn't matter how many lightmap textures there are.

Shader file attached.

Any issues, let me know.

Powered by Free Banners

Attachments

MateiSoft Romania
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Green Gandalf,

Thank you very much for this example! I have a few questions regarding the shader. Is this shader able to have normal mapping?
How many lights can this shader have?
The third question is in general: If we apply this shader and remove the shader lights, can we apply darkbasic professional dynamic lighting by the command: make light ? (i think not but i want to be sure)

Thank you again!
Alex Matei CEO
www.alexmatei.com
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2016 00:24
Quote: "Is this shader able to have normal mapping?"

Not at the moment - it would need additional code and the object would need a normal map. Also, you could only have normal mapping with the dynamic lights - not the lights in the lightmap. Ideally the lightmap would already take normal mapping into account - not sure off-hand whether that feature is available (I doubt it).

Quote: "How many lights can this shader have?"

One at the moment. It would need additional code for the extra lights. This could be implemented using the extra features included with Dark Shader and recent versions of DBPro (but not, as far as I know, the free open source version). How many lights would you want? Four dynamic lights should be easy to implement.

Quote: "If we apply this shader and remove the shader lights, can we apply darkbasic professional dynamic lighting by the command: make light ? (i think not but i want to be sure)"

No. If you apply a shader then the shader must apply the lighting.

Powered by Free Banners
MateiSoft Romania
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Green Gandalf,

To tell you the full thing that i want for my engine to better understand :

In my engine, i place lights in the scene, when a light is clicked represented by an object, a light appears for better placement to see the range the colour and how it pastes into the surfaces, after right clicking for exiting the selection, the light dissappears, so its a dynamic light. Good, after that we build the lights, the static lights. The dynamic light does not appear anymore. You had a great idea by the shader so at the moment i want for that light to appear and dissappear when needed. I also really really want to have normal mapping with light mapping, that will be the cherry on top of the cake. (I will put you in my credits on my engine, i intend to sell it. screenshot attached)
Alex Matei CEO
www.alexmatei.com

Attachments

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2016 11:50
Quote: "In my engine, i place lights in the scene, when a light is clicked represented by an object, a light appears for better placement to see the range the colour and how it pastes into the surfaces, after right clicking for exiting the selection, the light dissappears, so its a dynamic light. Good, after that we build the lights, the static lights. The dynamic light does not appear anymore."

Thanks for the background info.

Are you saying that you merely want the dynamic light as part of the world editing process? In other words, are you building your world in stages and at various points during the editing process recalculating the light maps? So, for example, you might have decided on the position, colour and range of, say, 6 lights and want to add one more but have already calculated the light map for the 6 lights and just want to see how the 7th light would look before updating the lightmap. If that is the case then you might want to add a few lights, e.g. no more than 4 say, before updating the lightmap. If you only want to work with one at a time then you can use the shader I've already given you - just switch technique as in the demo when you add or delete the temporary dynamic light.. You might want more than one temporary dynamic light so you can see how they interact before committing yourself to recalculating the lightmap. If that is the case then I doubt you'd really need as many as four - just two might be sufficient. Let me know what you think and I'll add the extra code if necessary.

Sounds like an interesting project.

Quote: "I will put you in my credits on my engine"

Thanks.

Powered by Free Banners
MateiSoft Romania
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Green Gandalf,

I will try with the code that you gave to me to use one light. Let me explain one thing, because i tested your shader. First of all, how can i correctly assign the color of the light? My interface exports RGB Values I tried with them but the light went choppy at movement and extremely biright. As for the range the same thing, i am using numbers from 1 to 1000 as range.

Also , please , if you can, apply a normal map techinque to the shader.

PS: Please if you want your full name on credits, PM me, else, I will put Green Gandalf (or both)

Thank You again!!!
Alex Matei CEO
www.alexmatei.com
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2016 18:41
Quote: " First of all, how can i correctly assign the color of the light? My interface exports RGB Values I tried with them but the light went choppy at movement and extremely biright. As for the range the same thing, i am using numbers from 1 to 1000 as range."

Colours are coded as floats in the range 0 to 1 for shaders, not 0 to 255. Also, light range is passed as its reciprocal. The relevant lines in the demo are:

which might be more clearly coded as something like:

Make sure you are using float arithmetic at critical points, otherwise a range of 50 for example might be applied as an infinite range (because 1/50 would be returned as 0).

Hope this helps.

Quote: "Also , please , if you can, apply a normal map techinque to the shader."

That's only worth doing if you can do it with the lightmapping as well. Otherwise you'll only see the normal mapping in the editor using the current temporary directional light. I doubt there would be much point doing that. Or have I misunderstood?

Powered by Free Banners
MateiSoft Romania
Years of Service
User Offline
Sure, i will try using floats for those values.

As for the normal mapping, i saw a post from you where you made a shader that enabled normal mapping and light mapping at the same time and it looked so good indeed. So it was an object, normal mapping, the NM directional light and the lightmap texture combined.
Alex Matei CEO
www.alexmatei.com
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2016 19:24
Quote: "As for the normal mapping, i saw a post from you where you made a shader that enabled normal mapping and light mapping at the same time and it looked so good indeed. So it was an object, normal mapping, the NM directional light and the lightmap texture combined."

Yes - but that was not for a temporary dynamic light. You could try it if you like but I suspect it's rather old and could be bugged (). Was it in a thread on its own or was it buried in another thread? I ought to have a copy of it somewhere ...

Powered by Free Banners
MateiSoft Romania
Years of Service
User Offline
Here it is: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/194365

I think there is a possibility to combine these effects somehow in any way?

Thank you!
Alex Matei CEO
www.alexmatei.com
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2016 23:28
Quote: "Here it is: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/194365"

Thanks for the link!

Quote: "I think there is a possibility to combine these effects somehow in any way?"

I'm not sure. You probably need a separate normal map for each base texture - and I still don't understand how you expect to use them when you've deleted your dynamic lights.