Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / 3D display a 2D graphic like Card Hunter or Card Dungeon?

Author
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2016 19:25 Edited at: 27th Mar 2016 19:43
Hi folks,

I love the look of games like Card Hunter or Gard Dungeons. There 2D graphics are displayed as game figures on a tabletop board. What I am after is how this could be achieved. That the 2D graphics is rendered on a 3D box with a white outline and an depth. Anyone has an idea?

Thanks for any input!

Here is a youtube video where you see it in action

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdx8i49Avbg[/video]
-----------------------------------------------------------
Using AGK2 Tier 1
[a http://www.fantomgl.com]fantomEngine[/a] - A powerful 2D game framework
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2016 20:29 Edited at: 27th Mar 2016 20:30
Im a Programmer and no 3D or 2D artist but i can only see normal 3D objects with good use of cartoon textures, nothing special and very doable in AppGameKit (from a programmer's perspective)
What might do the trick is, there is no fog and no real light(falloff so you only have the 3D feeling from the cameras perspective) but bloom and again nice textures.
I like the look too by the way

Using AGKv2 Tier1
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2016 21:19 Edited at: 27th Mar 2016 21:19
With youtube tags, you only need the code after the v= bit. i.e.:

This is just textured 3d. Create your character using something like Blender (draw the shape, and then extrude slightly to give a little depth), then apply a texture (the 2d image). Export the object in a format that AppGameKit likes and you're sorted There are some nice 3D particle effects going on there too which could be a little tricky as you'd have to code those yourself. The effect where a flat image always faces the camera (such as the shield seen at 2:38 in the above vid) is known as billboarding. There are AppGameKit commands available to achieve this effect too.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the input. Sure, it could be done like that. But to get nice round edges, this approach might raise the polygon count very much. And you would have to model each token after the drawing. I was hoping for some kind of shader solution which would do this automatically depending on the alpha value of the base image. Or something like that.
Using AGK2 Tier 1
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2016 01:25
Now i understand... Maybe parallax mapping could do what you want.
But it doesn't look like the game use it, I think they just do what CJB described.

Using AGKv2 Tier1
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, with AppGameKit, unless there is a way to use shaders for it, flat 3D models are the way to go.

Btw. as I found out, in OpenGL there is this thing called Logic Operations. With this you can create something like this without a textured model.
Using AGK2 Tier 1
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2016 11:36
You can use shaders in AppGameKit, and no doubt it is possible to create a shader that will render a 2d image as a 3d extruded plain, but I think you are making hard work for yourself. I don't think the poly count will be anywhere near signiifcant enough to worry about using more traditional methods for a game like this. If you do decide to write a shader to do it, please share with the community
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2016 22:27
In vertex shaders you manipulating vertices ....so you can positioning them or do that extrusion thing ...as long as you have enough vertices created in the model.
You gonna need a geometry shader for creating vertices.

I thought we were talking about 3D the whole time and not 2D images looking like they are in 3D ? (but it's a nice Idea)
I've made a 3D renderer my self with the line command only ... back in the AGKv1 days
If we could manupulate the vertices of the sprite...maybe then we could archive something 2D looking 3D (or with clever use of scaling and memblocks)

Using AGKv2 Tier1
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
For the start I will take the route of using 3D models shaped after the corresponding image. But I will definitely try to have a go with a 3D shader. Thanks for the input so far.
Using AGK2 Tier 1

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 13:33:05
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 13:33:05