Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Are the APK files safe from Decompilation?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Are the APK files safe from Decompilation?

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2016 08:37
No app is safe from being decompiled. If somebody really wants to do it, they will find a way.
The first question is how desirable would it be to decompile your app? If somebody could spend time decompiling GTA V or your game, which will be the priority?
If it is decompiled, what will you lose? It is quicker to recreate a game than decompile, and rewrite the result in a way that can be reused.

If you have user/password data inside your game, then that is something you need to consider and protect.

If you look at the media/byc file, then you will see it is not human-readable, apart from the list of included files at the top. It would take some work to decompile and rebuild the logic.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2016 11:17
the normal .apk file you can rename as .zip and open it.
AGK (Steam) V2.0.17 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (15.30.1025) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 30th Mar 2016 14:16
An APK can easily be decompiled. The real question is does AppGameKit obfuscate the java code?
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
Dybing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2016 22:36
No, the real question is, why would one care? Somebody decompiles your app? Big whoop. Reading others code, even when properly indented and commented, can be a pain unless it is specifically written to be clean and easily maintainable. Reading decompiled code... Why would one want to expose oneself to such suffering?

Unless your code contains some kind of system-critical functions that if compromised could potentially lead to loss or liability for a loss of a significant amount of money and/or put lives at risk, then there is no need to worry about anyone decompiling your code.
Slayer_1.0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2016 22:38 Edited at: 30th Mar 2016 22:50
Thanks all for your input..

Stab in the Dark "The real question is does AppGameKit obfuscate the java code?"

Yes, Mu Hu Hahaha Thats what I meant ed to say.

Slayer_1.0
Years of Service
User Offline
@Dybing for better hopes in the future.. if I start learning to obfuscate now I can plan for
Bigger ideas of the future.. but if AppGameKit dose this "obfuscate", much less for me to learn.. in any case its all good

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2016 10:14
Don't worry about it. Just spend your time making better games/apps. time spent trying to prevent anyone stealing your code (which I almost guarantee will not happen as no-one cares about small indie mobile games.) mean less time actually making a good game.

Just forget about it and move on.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2016 10:19
AGK is NDK anyway. Not much Java going on there.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2016 13:54
OK, new question if it can be easily decompiled and is not obfuscated then the advertisements
or in app purchases could be circumvented. If you are planning on making any money with your app
then this would be relevant. If you Google the process there are many examples where apps have been hijacked
this way. So the question still stands does AppGameKit obfuscate the code when exported to APK?
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2016 05:53

yeah... Unfortunately it’s worth thinking about. All it’ll take is somebody to reverse engineer the AppGameKit runtimes byte code, then they’re not revealing one applications code, but everybody using the same runtime would also be exposed.

PlayBASIC To HTML5/WEB - Convert PlayBASIC To Machine Code
Slayer_1.0
Years of Service
User Offline
A long time ago I read in an interview of Lee and he stated that he had a hit game in the UK and was upset to find out
someone had hacked the Code of this game.. So I'm going go with the benefit of the doubt, with that said I'm sure TGC
has something protecting AppGameKit Code.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2016 13:33
When Lee was writing games, he was writing them for the Amiga in the late 80s, early 90s.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2016 14:08
Quote: "A long time ago I read in an interview of Lee and he stated that he had a hit game in the UK and was upset to find out
someone had hacked the Code of this game.. So I'm going go with the benefit of the doubt, with that said I'm sure TGC
has something protecting AppGameKit Code."

I do not think your guess is good enough.
This may be an option.

http://developer.android.com/tools/help/proguard.html

But I think it may be too complicated for most Tier 1 users.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 14:28:30
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 14:28:30