Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Does AGK T2 work with any IDEs other than VS?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 31st Mar 2016 00:46
I've recently started coding a lot in C# and quickly fallen in love with OO. This is a problem since it makes coding in AppGameKit T1 really painful (no constructors and objects) but I just can't let AppGameKit go, it's too good, far better than any other casual mobile game development option. I would just move straight to T2 but visual studio is too large and bloated for my taste.
I've been using SharpDevelop for C# and it's really nice.

Does anyone know if any other C++ IDEs work with AppGameKit T2? Something like CodeLite or NetBeans or something else. If nobody knows for sure I'll try out a few and see if I can get it to work but I'd just rather ask somebody lol.

I'd really like to see a dedicated AppGameKit T2 IDE That would make T2 dev so much easier. It shouldn't really be too complicated to make right? Just use an open source C++ IDE, package it with an open source c++ compiler and customise it for AppGameKit?

Thanks,
EB

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
130,000 installs with AppGameKit and counting
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2016 07:35
On Windows, you'll need to use the Visual C++ compiler, but that doesn't mean you have to actually program inside Visual Studio. Personally I use Sublime Text with a plugin to compile the project using MSBuild. Anyhow basically any IDE you can set up to work with VC++ should be fine for AppGameKit Tier 2.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2016 23:17
Lucas is correct in that you can use any editor that you want.

However, the final Tier 2 Windows compilation must be done in MS Visual Studio because that is the only Windows C++ compilor that TGC has created the libraries needed to provide the AppGameKit magic.

And it does have a decent debugger for helping to find things that don't work as you expect.
Cheers,
Ancient Lady
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Ancient Lady wrote: "must be done in MS Visual Studio because that is the only Windows C++ compilor that TGC has created the libraries needed"

bummer, wish something like MingW would been useable.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Using AGK2 Tier 1
[a http://www.fantomgl.com]fantomEngine[/a] - A powerful 2D game framework

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 13:29:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 13:29:20