Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Universal Windows App - for Windows 10 App Store

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2016 15:13
Does the desktop target export to Windows 10 Universal Builds which can be published to the Windows 10 AppStore?

Regards,
Imaginations greatest gift is the knowledge you supply it.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2016 16:08
No.

Standard windows apps only.
Amon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2016 06:51
Is it planned for AGK2 to have this export option in future versions.
Imaginations greatest gift is the knowledge you supply it.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2016 11:47
I'd doubt it. Universal Windows apps require DirectX, and be written in c# using the UW APIs. AppGameKit uses OpenGL.
UW support would be good however, to get XboxOne AppGameKit games, which I'm all for!!
Fluorescent
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2016 18:12
It's not entirely true that you have to use C# and DirectX. The Universal Windows Platform supports several languages, including C#, C++ and Javascript.

There is also a framework that Microsoft developed that can supposedly translate OpenGL ES into DirectX specifically so that you can port games to Windows and Windows Phone... No support for Xbox though.
https://github.com/MSOpenTech/angle

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2016 18:27
Wouldn't Playstation be a more likely platform, since it runs on Open GL? But it's nice that you can now turn your regular XBone into a dev kit.

But I would assume that HTML5 is more likely to happen first.

Personally I couldn't care less about UWA. Microsoft have been absolutely terrible at doing these kinds of things in the past. And let's face it, most people only care about Steam on PC.
Fluorescent
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2016 19:26 Edited at: 16th Apr 2016 19:34
But to be fair, the only thing that really ties AppGameKit to Open GL are the shaders. None of the other commands directly references anything platform specific in either Open GL or Direct X. So if the underlying architecture or AppGameKit is decent it should be possible to fairly easily port the platform to Direct X... Or at least doable.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 13:30:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 13:30:38