Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / How to create a Windows exe file

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, stupid question time: How do I export my code as an exe file to run standalone on a Windows PC? I assume it can be done, but I can't find the option to do it.

Thanks.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2016 11:22
Each time you run it, it creates all of the necessary application files.

The exe is in your project folder
The bytecode (bytecode.byc file) is in the media folder.

These 2 files are the guts of your application. Everything else is the media you have included, usually in the media folder.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
You have to rename it and also change the icon with one of the common resource manager out there. I hope there will be an automated way via an export option.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Using AGK2 Tier 1
[a http://www.fantomgl.com]fantomEngine[/a] - A powerful 2D game framework
niansenx
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah I see it now. It's weird because I did see a file called AGK.exe, but the date of it was last month. But I deleted it and recompiled and it reappeared, but with the old date. But I can see that is what I need.

Thanks!
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2016 17:15
Quote: "You have to rename it"

No, you don't.

Quote: "change the icon with one of the common resource manager"

Yes, you do.

Quote: "I did see a file called AGK.exe, but the date of it was last month. But I deleted it and recompiled and it reappeared, but with the old date."

The .exe file is a common file that gets copied over from the ...\steamapps\common\App Game Kit 2\Tier 1\Compiler\interpreters\ folder so they will ALL have the same timestamp. Every AGk app uses the same .exe file, it's the emdia and .byc file that change.
niansenx
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. So my second question is, if I want to distribute this, what's the best way? Do I give someone the .exe and media folder and tell them to save it somewhere? Or is there a better way involving some kind of automated install process?

Any help would be great thanks!
Behdadsoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2016 18:02
Quote: "Do I give someone the .exe and media folder and tell them to save it somewhere? Or is there a better way involving some kind of automated install process?"

you can create setup for your project with some tools like:

Inno Setup (It's free) or Setup Factory, Install shield, or Advanced Installer or any setup creator.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You have to rename it and also change the icon with one of the common resource manager out there."

I wonder what ever happened to the "Export to Win with ability to change the Icon from within IDE" feature that was announced in January and scheduled for 2.0.17 in February. It has yet to surface and has been a long-requested feature.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 15:30:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 15:30:37