Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Raspberry Pi / Just getting started.

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2016 09:21
Got my Pi3 up and running with AppGameKit in less than half an hour. I can put a quick step-by-step guide together if anyone is interested.

I am very pleased and excited about the possibilities this opens up - and I'm really impressed with the performance of this tiny device!
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2016 18:13
Yes it is really cool and the best thing to come from TGC I think in a while. I prefer this than the 3D commands if I am honest.
I also got it working on a Raspberry Pi Zero which is really quite amazing when you see a game running from AppGameKit on something smaller than a credit card!
The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
AreCustomize
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2016 12:36
Quote: " I can put a quick step-by-step guide together if anyone is interested. "

Hi! I would be more than happy if you could post that guide.
I probably need to flash Raspian wheezy to my SD card but how can I install AppGameKit to it?
Bargepole
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2016 13:07 Edited at: 26th Apr 2016 08:02
removed by me
Bargepole
Years of Service
User Offline
@CJB - Please post that install guide. Are there any dependancies I need to know?
I'll be using Debian Jessie .
IronGiant
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2016 16:34
Ok, not into Linux by no means, but since no one else has seen fit to post a guide, I'll tell you all how I got AppGameKit to work on my RaspBerry Pi,

First i tried to get it to work on Wheezy for three days, no such luck.

Second I went and got Jeezy, the newest version of Debian for the Pi. installed it.

Then I copied AppGameKit ,unzipped on my PC to a USB Stick, that would be the AppGameKit-V2.0.18-RaspPi folder.

Then I copied that to my Raspberry Pi desktop, then to my public folder.

Then I went opened up the folder on my Pi with Geany in the tier one folder,Editor folder, ( the AppGameKit editor) ,and right clicked to get to properties on Geany Clicked the Permissons tab and allowed View Content , Change Content end Execute, to allow everyone.

I did the same for the AGKCompiler , AGKBroadcaster and in the interpreters folder the PiPlayer, all to allow everyone on the permissions tab for each program.

Then I just dragged Geany to my Pi desktop using the left Alt key, picked link here, and it all worked.

hoped that helped someone here...

if anyone knows a better way, well post it. we all could use the knowledge.
It\'s Bird! , It\'s Plane!, No its a rocket powered Squirrel holding some acorns and a smile!
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2016 22:37 Edited at: 4th May 2016 22:38
Here's a Windows method (this is what I did to get AppGameKit on my brand new Pi 3 model B). You will need a Micro SD card and reader. The Micro SD will essentially be the "hard drive" of your Pi, so the bigger and faster you get, the better (I recommend a minimum 16Gb Class 10 - you can sometimes tell the class by a number in a small circle on the card itself). You will also need a USB keyboard and mouse for your Pi, and a small USB memory card for transferring AppGameKit files (1Gb is adequate).

1) Download the latest Raspbian Jessie from here: https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_latest

2) Unzip the file to get the .img file (save this to your desktop, or in a location you won't forget).

3) Download Win32 Disk Imager from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/files/latest/download

4) Make sure your MicroSD card is inserted into your card reader and is connected to your PC.

5) Install and launch Win32 Disk Imager that you just downloaded. Select the image file from step 2, and the drive letter of your SD Card (make SURE you have selected the correct drive letter!).

6) Any existing data on your SD card will be erased. Click "Write" to begin the image burn process... You may get a warning message about corrupting your memory card - just continue and wait for the process to complete. - Boom! You now have the latest Raspbian to use in your Pi.

7) Insert the Micro SD into your Raspberry Pi, connect a USB keyboard, mouse and an HDMI TV then power up your Pi. If this is your first time, then this bit is really exciting!

8) Once Linux has launched and you are at the desktop, start a new terminal (the icon of a black monitor in the top bar) as we need to configure a few bits first.

9) At the command-line prompt, type: sudo raspi-config

10) Select option 1 (expand filesystem). This will open up the partition on your MicroSD card to make full use of the space available. A reboot will be required now.

11) After rebooting, start the terminal window and again type: sudo raspi-config

12) Select option 8 (advanced options), and then Memory Split. Set the amount of memory available for the GPU to 256Mb (this will allow you to run the 3D examples in AppGameKit later). Another reboot. (You can also use raspi-config to set things like Overscan if the desktop doesn't quite fit your TV).

13) At this stage, you can probably connect to your wi-fi, launch the web-browser and download AppGameKit directly onto your Pi, however I downloaded the AppGameKit for Raspberry Pi (here) back on my Windows machine, and copied the file to a USB memory card.

14) Transfer the memory card to your Raspberry Pi. When you insert the USB memory card, a dialogue box will appear asking if you want to open it. Open the file browser and double click the tarball that you downloaded in stage 13. The archive will now open (this will take a few seconds).

15) Drag the AGKPi folder to your desktop. Once the files have copied over, your are done!

You can now start writing AppGameKit programs on your Pi. Navigate the AppGameKit folder that now sits on the desktop by clicking on it, then launch the AppGameKit IDE... You will get a message asking if you want to execute it... Select EXECUTE and that's it! Happy coding!
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 01:40:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 01:40:42