Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Possible Linux bugs

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2016 17:42
So, I have played around with the Linux version of this for a little bit. I noticed that a lot of libraries, if not all, is deprecated and can no longer be downloaded in Ubuntu 15.04 or newer. Although, it does work if you manually transfer the correct .so files from a Ubuntu 14.04 system.
Anyway, to my testing, I couldn't get these things to work properly:

Video playback always seem to return 0. Tried vp8, vp9 and h264 and nothing worked.
Music volume can't be changed. Using SetMusicFileVolume() or SetMusicSystemVolume() doesn't work and the volume is always at 100. Haven't tried with sound.
GetDeviceType() and GetDeviceID() is empty.
GetDeviceLanguage() returns "LC_CTYPE=" instead of "en".
GetDocumentsPath() returns the writable directory instead of the actual documents directory.

That's everything I noticed from just quick testing...
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2016 19:36
I have not tried AppGameKit on Linux yet.

I was coming in the forums today to see what I needed to give Linux a try because I do not want to use Windows or Android as an OS for my arcade build.

So, Ubuntu 14.04 is the version that is compatible???

If memory serves, Linux features were limited anyway, since it was added on the fly instead of being planned.

I don't care which version I use as long as I can get it to work, but I am not a Linux users so I am going to have a learning curve anyway.

For some reason I thought there was an AGK-Linux Forum.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
KraXarN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2016 23:50
Ubuntu 14.04 is the recommended one on the Steam Store page and that "it may work with others". Haven't tried with any other distro than Ubuntu though.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2016 15:34
Thanks

I remember distributing CDs of Ubuntu when it first came out, and they were trying to gain popularity.
I was going to get into Linux back then but got side tracked, and never got around to getting deep into it.
Probably lots of progress has been made since then, so hopefully I won't have too much trouble getting it up and running.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 14:46:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 14:46:46