Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / I got an Nvidia Shield Portable

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2016 12:52
I got to borrow a portable Shield unit because I will be demoing my game at a convention next week. I am still hoping to get my hands on a TV box before the convention but at least I can try this and make sure everything works.

This thing is heavy like a brick. Build quality is super nice. Real gaming controls, screen and stereo speakers. But it doesn't feel like a Nintendo DS. It is currently charging. Not enough power to turn it on. Will update this thread once I've tried it more.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2016 13:55
Hmm. Now I need to figure out how to load an APK into this one. It got no file browser and when I put the APK into the downloads map it didn't show up.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2016 15:10 Edited at: 26th Apr 2016 15:12
Had to install a file manager. Now it runs perfectly. The control seems to be exactly like my 360 controller plugged into my PC. AppGameKit detects it and all the buttons I use works perfectly. The screen seems so small on such a big and bulky device. And it's weird to play with them lowered into the device. Everything is much higher up on a normal controller, relative to the grips.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2016 15:17
BTW, this thing has a small HDMI connector. I don't have a cable that can connect it to my TV. Now I really hope I can get a TV version before the convention. But it's great to know that everything works. I could always use my OUYA if I want to.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2016 15:40
We should really have a single, standard AppGameKit benchmark app - so we can run it on tablets and devices, and make our own list of devices and how they work with AppGameKit, would be very handy. I mean, I look at these controller tablet devices quite a lot, and for my needs they're too expensive, but probably not when a new generation is released, and the old kit is put on Ebay. Would be great to have a list of cheap devices that still cope with AGK.

I've only had to connect a tablet to a TV once, using mini-HDMI, but I had to hack it so it would let me specify the resolution to use - it would just revert to some horrible minimum resolution otherwise. It may have been the cheap tablet or cheap TV - All I'll say is get a mini HDMI cable and get it all tested, don't dilly-dally... the last thing you want is to not be able to show it on a TV, and the very last thing you want is for it to look bad on the TV.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2016 15:45
If I can't get a Shield TV and I don't want to use my OUYA I will look into getting a mini HDMI cable. Demoing on this seems like a bad idea right now. The OUYA is not optimal, but at least the controller doesn't weigh a ton and doesn't require a charger cable and HDMI cable connected.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 04:17:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 04:17:50