Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Good Test Device For Android Apps with AGK2

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2016 20:37
Hi, I just bought agk2 , and am looking to actually start making some android apps.
But...
I don't have an android *device*.

Today at walmart i saw a few that were about $50 , which blew me away, and apparently amazon has some too.

So ,
what do you use for testing your android apps?

do you see any "red flags" about products like these, that would make them a bad match for AppGameKit ?
http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Tab-A735-Lollipop-Bluetooth/dp/B017A7TVQ4/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1461690782&sr=1-5&keywords=android+tablet+marshmallow
or this one, extremely appealing to me at just $40:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-7-Tablet-16GB-Quad-Core/45804400

Thanks for any help, advice, etc.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2016 07:53
If your game runs on a cheap device it will likely run on more expensive devices. The screens are also low resolution. The Astro Tab is below 720p. The good part is that it makes games run faster even with worse chips. They are probably not great for browsing etc but games should work.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2016 08:35
Agreed. Cheaper, older devices are good for performance testing. I'd recommend testing on mobile and tablet devices as you can often get the layout of your game perfect for one device but then it all goes horribly wrong when running on a different size screen.

I use a Galaxy S2 and Sony Experia for mobile testing, and an unbranded cheapo tablet and a Hudl for testing tablet.

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2016 10:08
I have a Google nexus 5 which is fairly cheap, and really well specced for its age and a huawai mediatab tablet which I was given for free when I took home broadband out.

As mentioned, if your game runs an a lower spec device, it'll run on better devices. (I always develop and devices wither a lower spec than my target device.)

It's best to have as many devices as you can, with different screen sizes etc. I've found that it's the screen resolutions that cause the biggest issues rather than device spec. (So far, i've not had a game that won't run on a lower spec device! I even ran my VR Zelda game on my Galaxy Gear 1 smart watch!)
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2016 11:09
Also, sign up to Amazon Marketplace. They run your app through a virtual analysis of every device out there, and tell you what will and won't run.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2016 03:22
hey, thanks everyone!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 08:32:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 08:32:02