Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Raspberry Pi / DIY RPi Arcade Machine Goodness.

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2016 09:16 Edited at: 20th May 2016 11:12
I'd like this thread to become a trove of information for anyone interested in building an Arcade Machine with an RPi, and AGK.

To get it started, here's a neat trick to save GPIO connections:

If you need lots of buttons for your DIY arcade machine (or whatever project you're working on) you can save all your GPIO connections by taking an old USB keyboard controller circuit and hook the connection from that to your buttons instead! This has the added benefit of giving you all the buffered keyboard input goodness, along with ready-made commands such as GetRawKeyPressed, GetRawKeyReleased, GetRawKeyState, GetRawLastKey etc!

Caution: This method will suffer from the "N-Key Rollover" effect where certain combinations of keys (or Arcade Machine Buttons! ) will glitch (known as jamming (keypresses aren't registered) or ghosting (erroneous keypresses registered)). Care should be taken when arranging your buttons to prevent multi-press combinations that could cause jamming or ghosting.

Using a keyboard input circuit for your buttons leaves all your GPIO connections free for bells and whistles!

I'll have a crack at this over the weekend and post up some pics of my efforts.

ArcadeWorldUK looks like a very good resource for Arcade Machine kit (thanks Steve for nudging me in their direction!).

Inexpensive Arcade Joysticks & Buttons kit: http://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/2-Player-Arcade-Joysticks-And-Buttons-Kit-No10.html

Flat-pack cabinets: http://www.arcadeworlduk.com/categories/Arcade-Machines/Flat-Pack-Kits/
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2016 15:44 Edited at: 20th May 2016 15:45
Useful tip #2

You will want to learn some basic electronics skills. Plugging stuff straight in to the pins can result in burning your Pi. You can also get unknown states, where a pin may read 0 or 1.
This page is a good starting point for learning how to use resistors to prevent unknown states, and protect your Pi from an accidental short-circuit.

https://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi-tutorials/27968772-turning-on-an-led-with-your-raspberry-pis-gpio-pins
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2016 16:59
Good tip BatVink. I wonder how much current my relay board draws :s I'll need to check that, and get the required resistors in place.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 07:45:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 07:45:26