Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / HTML5 - security of assets

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2016 09:41
Hi all,

First off - most impressed by AppGameKit on HTML5. Very nice.

I've been looking at how to protect assets from just being downloaded from the app's folder when stored on a webserver.

The problem is, that if the address "http://whateversite.com/MyApp/AGKPlayerData.data" (for example) is entered into the browser, the graphics for the game can be downloaded and nicked. I know we could encrypt these, by the way. This thread is about how we could secure these files so that Joe Public could not get at them in the first place.

I have tried setting permissions on the other files in the folder, but AGKPlayer needs to be able to read these to run the game. AGKPlayer's security context is the same as a public viewing of the website, so if we make the files unavailable to the outside world, AGKPlayer can't get at them either.

To my mind, there are two options here. Firstly, find some way to run AGKPlayer in a different security context so that it can access the protected files it needs. I don't know how you'd do this.

Secondly, randomise/mangle the filenames in some way. Maybe put all files apart from the html and related graphics into a randomly-named subfolder (AGKPlayer would somehow know this name, and be able to find its files).

Just thinking aloud. Does anyone else have any thoughts about this?

Cheers,

James
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2016 11:07 Edited at: 22nd May 2016 18:39
Hi Jambo,

How about encrypting the media files itself with the memblock commands.
And then decrypt them in runtime, of course it would take it's time.
https://www.thegamecreators.com/pages/newsletters/newsletter_issue_151.html

Using AGKv2 Tier1
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2016 12:10
Hi

Quote: " the graphics for the game can be downloaded and nicked."
How do you do to get the graphics/sounds or other files from AGKPlayerData.data.
I guess it's a data files, so I'm not sure it's easy to get the files from this .data

For my game, I encrypt the files I would like to protect.
AGK2 tier1 - http://www.dracaena-studio.com
Jambo B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2016 16:24
Hi,

When I downloaded AGKPlayerData.data from the webserver by entering the address "http://whateversite.com/MyApp/AGKPlayerData.data" (for example), Firefox displayed it as an image.

I agree with you about the encryption - I just wondered if there could be a way to prevent assets and other files from being downloaded from the server in the first place.

James
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2016 16:53
Quote: "When I downloaded AGKPlayerData.data from the webserver by entering the address "http://whateversite.com/MyApp/AGKPlayerData.data" (for example), Firefox displayed it as an image."

It probably recognised one of the images in the file, but the individual media files are not easily accessible. However it is impossible to prevent someone just downloading the data file and figuring it out since the browser has to do so to hand the files to AGK. If you're really concerned about it then the best way would be to use memblocks to change all or part of the file in some way and undo it before loading. That would hide the media loading process inside your code, and be unique to you, making it much harder to figure out.

But ultimately if the user is able to see or hear in the app the media you are trying to protect, then it's impossible to stop them copying it whilst still letting them see it. You can only increase the amount of work they have to do, and then it only takes one person willing to put in that effort to undo it.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2016 17:12
Quote: "and then it only takes one person willing to put in that effort to undo it."

...Although that person is probably putting their efforts into cracking Doom, GTA or some other AAA title.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Jambo B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2016 18:20
Quote: "...Although that person is probably putting their efforts into cracking Doom, GTA or some other AAA title."

I'm sure you're right, BatVink, I don't think they'd be interested in my 'home-made' assets!

Licensed assets, on the other hand, have to be as inaccessible as possible - as per the agreement. I agree that the memblock and encryption which Paul mentioned above is the way to go.

Thanks all,

James
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2016 22:03
Is it possible to use memblocks to protect music files too? IIRC AppGameKit streams them. And I am thinking more for PC release specifically as they are fully open as is.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 20:58:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 20:58:38