Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / MODS...who are you?

Author
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 28th May 2016 15:50
Hello all!

Perhaps it has already been asked before, and if so forgive my ignorance, but i thought it would be cool to put our wellknown forum MODS in the spotlight so that we get a better understanding of who they are.
After all, they are the ones that kept (and still keep) these forums under control, to ensure we all have an enjoyable experience while visiting these forums. For which we thank them, of course!

Some of us probably see MODS as wicked people, abusing their God like powers to make our lives miserable, LOL, but we all know that isn't true.
Mods are just like us, normal people, with normal lives and experiencing the same troubles in life as we do.

Therefore, it would be cool to hear the persons behind the mods talk about their interests, good/bad experiences (during their 'MOD'- period), hobby's, game projects (WIP or finished games), or anything else you want to share with us. Thanks!

Btw, soon i will be your Forum Vice President and Dark Java Dude 64 will be your Forum President, and we WILL abuse our God like powers to the fullest, making these forums great again, LOL!

Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2016 17:29
At the risk of being called lazy, here is the info I put in the "What's your story thread" with a little extra.

Back in 2003 I wanted to make a specific project, which I still haven't made yet I had prototyped it in VB and needed the visuals of a real gaming environment.
I saw DB and Blitz compared in a PC magazine (remember those paper-based things you used to buy from a place known as a newsagent?)
I liked the syntax of DB more so went with it, and glad I did.
By 2005 I had won a couple of small prizes in the competitions, and applied for the post of tutorial writer for the newsletter.
When Rich Davey left, I became the newsletter editor...for 8 years! At the time I became newsletter editor, I was also endowed with mod-powers. It was originally to get a little more insight behind the scenes.
Over the years I upgraded to DBPro and then AppGameKit and AGK2. Along the way I won lots of competition prizes (blackberry tablet, Intel Ultrabook, 27" touchscreen Table PC, $1,000 (twice), 3D camera).
Now, I'm still writing lots of little bits here and there. They are mainly aligned with my original project that I never did, writing games for local fundraising events. I'm currently writing an arcade-like fundraising game using a Raspberry Pi and some nice shiny buttons and lights.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2016 15:56
Someone told me there would be cake.

Really I'm old school, come from an era of bedroom coders and hobbyists, back when a game could be written by one person (love that statement, as if it doesn't happen these days!). Game development is part of my DNA and much like Batvink, I have ideas that I haven't been able to expunge yet, I can't imagine that I'll ever stop programming. I have taken part in a lot of competitions and completed a lot of projects, especially retro remakes of classic games. I like to pay for PC upgrades with freelance work here and there - makes it difficult to keep track of how much I spend on my PC and kit, which is probably for the best. I work as an IT engineer and developer during the day, I'm never far from a computer, and program every single day... I'm a big old geek... picture a cross between Hodor from GoT, and a Ninja and that's pretty much me.

I primarily use AGK2 these days, but I still use DBPro, got an engine project underway with that. Currently fighting the war on dull educational software with TGC and some other brave volunteers using the AppGameKit framework.... Ahhhhh C++, how I've missed hating you. It's not the language or the syntax that I hate, it's the bloody EDM and dubstep you feel inclined to listen to while coding in C++

I like to dabble in retro computers and game projects too, even make the odd Speccy game and plan to finish an Atari ST game I've been working on when I have some time. One of my speccy games even made it into the indie section of Retro Gamer last year... that's -1 from my bucket list at least!
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 3rd Jun 2016 16:45
Quote: "with a little extra."

Which is ?
Btw, you forgot to mention your ADG (App Developers Group) participation.

Quote: "Back in 2003 I wanted to make a specific project, which I still haven't made yet "

When will you, and what's the project about?

Quote: "When Rich Davey left, I became the newsletter editor...for 8 years!"

And you did a great job! Something to be proud off!

Quote: "I was also endowed with mod-powers"

Somewhat like the X-Men?

Quote: "Along the way I won lots of competition prizes (blackberry tablet, Intel Ultrabook, 27" touchscreen Table PC, $1,000 (twice), 3D camera)."

Not bad at all!

Quote: "Someone told me there would be cake."

And cookies, with or without coffee!

Quote: "back when a game could be written by one person (love that statement, as if it doesn't happen these days!)"

Yeps, one man made games can be as good/fun as AAA games made by an army of artists/developers.

Quote: "picture a cross between Hodor from GoT, and a Ninja and that's pretty much me.
"

A programming geek Ninja looking like Hodor? Hmmm...i'm trying to visualize that picture, but it's not easy .

Quote: "freelance work here and there "

Programming, i assume?

Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2016 19:14 Edited at: 9th Jun 2016 19:16
Too late to answer this?

I discovered DBP back in 2003 and then made a game called WordTris. It was featured in the newsletter and soon after I ported it to a bunch of different platforms (like iOS) under the new name WordTrix. This is even trademarked now in several countries!

I worked at EA for about 5 years and various other gaming companies, and now I'm living in Nashville working for a daily fantasy sports company. Things are peaceful and next month I'm moving back to Vancouver. For someone who hates moving as much as I do, I tend to do it all the time.

I also put in a few new features into this forum after Richard Davey left, and then it was taken over by someone else officially at TGC who re-wrote the forum (and probably undid the things that I put in )

Right now I spend my nights working in AppGameKit and also Phaser when I'm in the mood.

I was probably a tough mod here back in the day but I've been so busy with other things these days that I don't step into this Geek Culture forum as often as I'd like. It's still fun though
Senior Software Engineer - RotoGrinders

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 23:21:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 23:21:45