Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Making an exported HTML5 game into a Universal Windows Platform App (Running on Xbox One)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2016 01:40 Edited at: 31st May 2016 01:44
I found a quick and easy way to add a Tier 1 HTML5 exported build to a Visual Studio universal app project, and then get it to run on my retail Xbox One in development mode. Since the AppGameKit HTML5 export doesn't support game pad inputs I cant interact with my games running on the Xbox One, but they do run well. They run fine using mouse and keyboard commands running on my Windows 10 PC.

Here is a video of a couple of my games running on my Xbox One

The process to get the HTML5 exported game to run is quite easy after you set up your Windows PC for Universal Windows Platform App development. You can find the details to do that here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/xbox-apps/getting-started

After you have that done follow these steps.
1) Export your game as HTML5
2) Open up Visual Studio 2015 and select new project.
3) Select project type "Blank App - WebContext (Universal Windows)" It can be found going through Templates -> JavaScript -> Windows -> Universal
4) Delete the file index.html in the project solution.
5) Rename your HTML5 exported apps html file to index.html
6) Drag all the exported files into the same location in the Visual Studio project as the delete index.html was.
7) Select all the files you added in the properties tab change the Copy to Output Directory to Copy always.
8) Build project. The app will run at a crawl if you Start with debugging, but should run fine if you run without debugging.

Here is a video of me doing those steps.

This project will also allow you to run the game on Any Windows 10 device not just a Xbox One, though Ive yet to test it on a Windows 10 phone.
Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2016 08:52
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2016 09:58
Oh snap!

TGC, make this an official selling point!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2016 13:13
That's sweet! Only need the controller support. Asked Paul too look into that for HTML5 earlier.

What is the performance like? I wonder if I can get RTA to run in a lag free state on Xbox One. That would be really cool.

I suspect there is no way to run in on Playstation?
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2016 13:58 Edited at: 31st May 2016 13:58
Sweet, now AppGameKit can do selfrunning slideshows on XBOX one. Now there is a market
-----------------------------------------------------------
Using AGK2 Tier 1
fantomEngine - A powerful 2D game framework
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2016 16:03
The PS4 web browser supports HTML5. I haven't tried it with AGK2 yet. I'll give it a go tonight.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2016 16:49
CJB
It's still about making it into a runable build. I know a guy with connections at Sony. Sadly you need a dev kit to try that.
apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
I wont be able to test it on PS4 development kit anytime soon so I cant test it on that. As for the performance on the Xbox One Ill really need input controls to really test its performance, but what I have tested run at a steady 60 fps. Ill do more testing If/when controller support is added.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2016 22:08
I might be able to borrow an Xbox One myself. But yeah, we really need controller support.
Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2016 09:19
And with that support, the ability to detect new controllers plugged in after CompleteRawJoystickDetection() has been called.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2016 09:32
Hmm, I wonder if we must have controller checks for single player games on Xbox. I would imagine you need it to detect additional controllers for multi-player games.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2016 16:34 Edited at: 1st Jun 2016 17:01
I do wonder what it takes to get an HTML5 game to run on PS4. If it runs in the browser it should not be impossible. I don't know anyone with a dev-kit nor anyone who would know how to get something like that running. But if it's possible then maybe at some point in the near future I have access to that. As a proof of concept I would love to try it through the browser with controller support. BTW, we also need to be able to use savefiles. I would imagine that the PSN and XBL stores have less indiegames than Steam so would be awesome if I could get RTA on any of them.

CJB:
Did you get an HTML5 app working on your PS4 through the browser?
apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
If its the same rules in games development as the Xbox 360 then we will need to do controller checks, even for single player games. All games need to be able to be started and played by any standard controller sync to the Xbox. Its simple enough to setup what ever pad is used to start the game is assigned as the main controller for the game. The reason for this back on the Xbox 360 was that a lot of people kept their guitar hero instruments or arcade fighting sticks as their player 1 controller and they needed to be able to play other games without the need to swap controllers.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2016 20:59
Thanks apocolyp4, good to know
apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
I discovered that if you plug in a usb keyboard into the Xbox One the AppGameKit keyboard commands work. So if you have keyboard controls in your game they should work fine on the Xbox One. I haven't tried a mouse yet, but I doubt it will work as there is no pointer on screen. At least we can make our games playable on the Xbox One just now even without the game pad support.

Rozen Software
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2016 19:55
Please forgive me that I interfere but this thread is a good place to mention that thanks to HTML5 exporter and this excellent tutorial I have managed to publish one of my games to Windows Store.
All I had to do more was changing of the JS's coding files in HTML5 folder to UTF8.

Unfortunately this build for some reason doesn't work correctly on my Windows Phone...

If you want to see the result please go to https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9nblggh4wqjf .

At last, Windows 10 seems to be opened for us now
apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
Rozen Software great to hear that my tutorial was useful! Well done getting your game published.
Fluorescent
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2016 17:25
@apocolyp4 thank you for this instruction, clear and easy to follow so I now have my game in a Universal app.

However, I want to try it on my Windows 10 mobile phone, but I'm not sure how to sideload an app on to it. Does anybody know of an easy way of doing that?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 09:00:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 09:00:54