Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Templates Tier 1 - Paul please take a look

Author
User Banned
Posted: 14th Jun 2016 11:25 Edited at: 14th Jun 2016 11:27
could we get a templates options where
I open a new project and it opens it with the following:

main.agc
screen.agc
input.agc
game.agc

obviously this is an example.
my thoughts are that users can create a new project with some files that will help them sort code quickly.

so for the example the screen.agc will be like:

and input for example :

in the main.agc I will use these examples as

with the current version I need to create those each time , I don't really mind it takes a minute but it could really be useful if I want something new really quick just to test something
also the Main.agc stays much cleaner...

thank you for your time.
haliop.
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2016 12:30 Edited at: 14th Jun 2016 12:40
Templates would be useful, combined with a local snippet library, it would boost the workflow,
good idea.

Quote: "with the current version I need to create those each time"

For now, you just have to create an empty template project and if you want to create a new project, simply copy and rename the template project in your projects folder.

[/url]
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2016 14:22
This would be very useful but not in the way you've described it.
The template you've requested would only be useful to you. I certainly wouldn't want to start a project like that.
A better suggestion would be to allow the user (us) to determine how a new project is created, what files are included and what is written in the main.agc file. Although to be honest, I don't think it is too much of a chore to delete the contents of the main.agc file and replace it with my own each time, which is what I do now.
AGK V2 user - Tier 1 (mostly)
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2016 09:11
Just do what I do.

I have a folder with my game engine in, and another folder woth my project in. In my current project, I #include "../gameEngine/engine.agc"
engine.agc will #include all other subsystems. This way, I can change the engine as I add features, and all games made using it will benefit from the changes, and all I have to do is #include a single file.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2016 11:05 Edited at: 15th Jun 2016 11:05
I guess I'm reiterating what others are already saying, this is my includes folder, which is my template for new projects.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt

Attachments

Login to view attachments
haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 15th Jun 2016 18:31
I guess I can do that
haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 15th Jun 2016 21:48
I honestly thought that all agcs needs to be in the same folder as the main one... this clearly helps
still templates are a good idea if we had more functionality inside it.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2016 08:29
I agree it would be good to have a framework for new users. I would imagine it has all of the setup for virtual resolution, orientation etc. it would also have placeholders such as "Menu here", "Gameplay" here.
But this is probably something we can do as a community, Paul has enough to do!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2016 09:48
Maybe i'll crowdfund my engine library and release that free once a minimum value has been met?
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2016 00:24 Edited at: 17th Jun 2016 00:26
so far im up to 2 include files that i use for everything.... its not terrible to copy them into every project i make... but it would be nice to be able to customize starting a new project template to add certain files to it automatically.

i like the idea!

Oh! i have mentioned this to paul already but id really really like the editor to remember my apk export settings..... version number i last used,build number... actual file name. ... it really is a pain to try looking up what your last submission was so your updated apk doesnt get rejected
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2016 09:07
I'd like the editor do what VB6 used to do back in the day. There's the major version number, minor version number and revision number. Every time you run the program, the revision number is incremented by one. Every time you build (export) the program, the minor revision is incremented by one. Having that functionality would be nice.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2016 13:35
Quote: "I'd like the editor do what VB6 used to do back in the day. There's the major version number, minor version number and revision number. Every time you run the program, the revision number is incremented by one. Every time you build (export) the program, the minor revision is incremented by one. Having that functionality would be nice."
+1
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 15:22:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 15:22:24