Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK Version 2.0.20

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2016 07:56
Quote: "so basically no music rhythm games"
If you know the BPM of the music, you could use timer based movement to sync the action!
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2016 08:44
Quote: "Paul, any comment on the GetImage issue I mentioned that does not properly the get an image at the virtual resolution?"

This is correct behaviour. Get image works on the device resolution. You either need to rescale your sprite accordingly or my preferred method is to getImage while the virtual resolution is at device resolution. It all depends whether you are doing it in-game or pre-game
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2016 00:02
Quote: "Tested with a 64x64 pixel image and it worked as expected. Images must be a power of two in size to repeat."

Thanks for the info but the with the previous version 2.0.19, the repeat mode with non power of 2 images worked perfectly.
So I have read better the release notes and I found the following:
Quote: "Using SetImageWrapU or SetImageWrapV with mode 1 (repeat) on an image that is not a power of two will now do nothing"

This is the really useful info. So I have reshaped the image to 1024x512 and I have used setSpriteSize() to enlarge the sprite to cover the entire virtual resolution of 1280x800.
Now it works perfectly.
By the way, now the level loading times are very fast because of the optimization of image loading, and even the broadcast to AppGameKit Player on Android devices is faster too.
Thanks to Paul, Lee and all TGC staff, AppGameKit is becoming (a little slowly because of the small staff) a very robust and stable platform...
Alien Menace
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2016 07:53 Edited at: 6th Jul 2016 08:05
Quote: "This is correct behaviour. Get image works on the device resolution. You either need to rescale your sprite accordingly or my preferred method is to getImage while the virtual resolution is at device resolution. It all depends whether you are doing it in-game or pre-game"

Since Paul doesn't seem to be replying to my posts for whatever reason, I'll take your word that it is suppose to work this way, however I cannot understand why on Earth it would as the only thing that matters to the user is the virtual resolution, that is what everything is based on. It seems a little ridiculous to me that every other image gets up-scaled to virtual resolution automatically except this. The logic here escapes me. Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion about re-sizing the sprite but that doesn't work for me for a few different reasons (one is that when the level is loaded later, the image has to be loaded back and the sprite rebuilt at the proper width/height scale from that image) but it should be a fairly easy work around now using ResizeImage() (well at least since it was added in 2.0.16) but before that, there wasn't really any way to accomplish this the way I needed to.

Thanks
I love my Altair 8800 Replica.

http://altairclone.com/
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2016 09:17
Quote: " I cannot understand why on Earth it would "

GetImage works on the back buffer, which is device resolution.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2016 11:01
Is anyone having issues with the sky commands not working in HTML5? They work on windows and android, but I get a black background on HTML5.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2016 13:31
Quote: "Paul, any comment on the GetImage issue I mentioned that does not properly the get an image at the virtual resolution?"

As mentioned by others this is as expected as it samples the back buffer. For example if your virtual resolution was 1024x768 but you were running on a device that had a back buffer resolution of 2048x1536 then using GetImage(0,0,1024,768) would tell AppGameKit to get an image of the entire screen, which for that device happens to be 2048x1536 in size.

Quote: "Is anyone having issues with the sky commands not working in HTML5?"

I just tried the Terrain demo that comes with AppGameKit, using a 1024x1024 heightmap, and the sky commands worked there.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2016 14:57
Hmm, wonder why It doesn't work for me? I'll have to come up with a simple project to see if the issue follows me.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2016 21:28 Edited at: 9th Jul 2016 21:30
Hi Paul.

Not sure if it's been mentioned again, but the HTML issue is still here to a segree. The 3D seems slightly messed up in this version - essentially everything seems to by scaled by a factor of 0.5?? I.e. 3D spheres which were previously fine are half the size, moving them moves them half as fast. Everything else seems fine - they don;t appear and disappear anymore and UV clamping seems fine again.

Back to BETA .17 again for me. :-(

EDIT: I should say, these problems are on a regular windows build, not an HTML export. I should also say that I have set a virtual resolution of 1920x1080 but have a 4K monitor and desktop - is that maybe part of the problem???
Carharttguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2016 21:53
Is there a roadmap for new functions available somewhere?

Thanks
Carharttguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2016 21:53
Is there a roadmap for new functions available somewhere?

Thanks
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 11th Jul 2016 04:32
Paul,
So I've been having this pretty serious bug with some of the later releases of AGK. Basically GetPointerX/Y/GetRawTouchCurrentX/Y do not work on my Android device (ever since around the time I upgraded to marshmallow actually, although this might not have anything to do with it). They only update the X/Y position on tap and release, not holding.
I'm using a Motorola moto G 2nd gen with Android 6.0 and using the latest version of both AppGameKit and the Player.
I'd really appreciate a fix for this cause it makes testing games on my phone impossible and most likely breaks any recent AppGameKit games on this device too.

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
130,000 installs with AppGameKit and counting
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2016 09:40
What command are you using to detect a Tap&Release?
GetPointerPressed / GetPointerState / GetPointerReleased?
Are you using the raw commands?
Care to show some sample code that runs and shows the issue?
Have you tried the same commands in their own project to see if it's the commands or your code?
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2016 09:54
Pressed, State and Released all work as expected. I've tried the raw commands too, they all work properly except for the same issue of the X and Y not updating :/
I've tried it with a fresh project to confirm it wasnt just an issue with my code, literally as simple as putting Print(GetPointerX()) in the main loop of the default template project.
I also downloaded a different AppGameKit game to test it and it wasnt working in their game either so I reckon it's safe to say it's an issue with the way AppGameKit interacts with my hardware.

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2016 15:16
Quote: "The 3D seems slightly messed up in this version - essentially everything seems to by scaled by a factor of 0.5??"

Can you give me an example I can try in 2.0.17 and 2.0.20 to see if I can replicate the difference?

Quote: "Is there a roadmap for new functions available somewhere?"

We are not currently releasing a roadmap

Quote: "They only update the X/Y position on tap and release, not holding. "

Well that's a problem. It sounds like your device is sending AMOTION_EVENT_ACTION_HOVER_MOVE events instead of AMOTION_EVENT_ACTION_MOVE events. We recently had to filter out hover move events as there were a few devices that were sending one just *after* a touch release and setting the GetPointerX/Y values off to the corner of the screen, instead of staying where the last touch event was. I'll have to see if there is a way of accommodating both types of devices and still have it work properly.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2016 23:24
Ahh, that sounds about right. Actually my old phone had that issue with the X/Y positions resetting back to the corner. I managed to work around that by storing the X and Y position in separate variables and intentionally NOT updating them if GetPointerReleased returned true. Of course I doubt you would want to do it this way.

Just had an idea though, so it updates the X and Y position on release too, so could you simply check to see if both Action and Hover occur within the same AppGameKit frame and if so, ignore the hover event?
The only way I can see that failing is of the Hover event occurs first which now that I think about it is probably what happens lol.
Anyways I'm sure you'll work something out pretty quick

Also, just wanna say, AppGameKit really is amazing. I've been held up by the limitations (lack of OO (I'm not a fan of C++), mic commands) a few times and tried really hard to find different development options (Cocos2d, Corona, just to name a few) and really, I cant stop coming back to AppGameKit lol. You guys rock!

Also just out of curiosity, is it possible that AppGameKit could be ported to work with C# at any stage in the future? Like not asking if this is ever going to happen, obviously you would want to check with the community and take polls and all that before taking such a massive step, but like would porting AppGameKit to C# actually be possible? Or would that mean rewriting the entire engine?
I'd just like to know if my dream has even the slightest chance of happening

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2016 12:02
@Paul,

No problem, I'll try putting something together today and uploading, failing that I can share my project with you privately if need be.

Will update later.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2016 23:13 Edited at: 13th Jul 2016 23:15
Ok, so the problem was surprisingly easy to reproduce.

This video shows it in action - it creates a simple sphere, then moves it left to right after a mouse press. The first part is Beta 2.0.17 (0.18 does the same, not sure about 0.19 as that had other issues so I took it out right away) and shows the sphere filling the screen and moving off the side of the screen. The second part shows the official 2.0.20 release which shows the exact same code produces a far smaller sphere, that doesn't move nearly so far.

As I mentioned before, I have a 4K desktop - and it seems coincidental to me that the size change also seems to be around a factor of 0.5, as does the movement. Is the virtual system not working in this release maybe, and it's locked to the desktop? I'll attached the file as soon as I can - as I raised before, this forum still doesn't like most browsers (firefox, IE, Edge) and the attach button does nothing so I will install Chrome.

EDIT: sample code attached.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2016 23:18
RE my previous post - just noticed something interesting. In the first version, the lighting moves across the sphere as you would expect. In the second version, the 2.0.20 release......the shading doesn't seem to move at all either. Is this due to scaling, or is this not working either?
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2016 15:24
I've implemented a fix for the hover event for the next version, hopefully it will cover all devices properly.

Quote: "Also just out of curiosity, is it possible that AppGameKit could be ported to work with C# at any stage in the future?"

Not likely I'm afraid

Quote: "This video shows it in action - it creates a simple sphere, then moves it left to right after a mouse press. "

Thanks for the example. You are using SetCameraFOV(1,0) which wasn't supported in 2.0.17, it would use a very small FOV for the perspective projection matrix instead of 0. In 2.0.19 and above 0 is now a special case that uses an orthographic projection matrix, which is why you are seeing a difference. You can use SetCameraOrthoWidth to set the width of the orthographic projection, which would change the size of the sphere on screen.
Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2016 22:14
Thanks for the update Paul. Keep up the good work.

I've been testing the new music commands and can confirm that ogg files now loops seamlessly.
One request though.
Is it posible to extend the PlayMusicOGG() command so it can seamlessly loop a part of the music file?
Let's say I have a music file wich is 8 seconds long and I want it to play from the beginning and when it reaches 6 seconds it loops seamlessly back to 2 seconds. Could that be possible?

I tried with the following code but sometimes I could hear some small glitches.

It would make composing music much easier if we could loop a part of a music file. At least for me.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2016 10:51
Quote: "I tried with the following code but sometimes I could hear some small glitches."

If nothing else, this is due to lack of accuracy because of the frame rate. You would never be able to get it working perfectly by doing it yourself. It has to be handled outside of the game loop to be accurate.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2016 12:30
You could solve it by picking a natural break in the music. You will always be out of sync by up to 16 ms at 60FPS.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2016 16:12
Quote: "
Quote: "I tried with the following code but sometimes I could hear some small glitches."

If nothing else, this is due to lack of accuracy because of the frame rate. You would never be able to get it working perfectly by doing it yourself. It has to be handled outside of the game loop to be accurate.
"

I know. I didn't expect it to work but I was actually surprised of how close it was.

Quote: "
You could solve it by picking a natural break in the music. You will always be out of sync by up to 16 ms at 60FPS.
"

It's not always easy to find a natural break in the music. But it's a workaround that sometimes could work.

Don't get me wrong. I'm super happy for the new music commands I'm just requesting that little extra which would make the music commands complete for me.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2016 22:56
Maybe you could create a new sound using creatememblockfromsound?
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2016 18:14
It takes longer to compile projects now in the latest version. When I hit Run I have a green box in the bottom right corner of the IDE moving left and then right before the game runs. It used to run immediately before.
Qugurun
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AppGameKit
Posted: 18th Jul 2016 18:20
I have the error.When I put Russian letters in the text box on the PC then all the letters are good, when I launch the game of android I get not readable characters,and when on IOS that Russian letters do not appear.
Sorry for my English.

AGK 2.0.20 Windows, Basic.
Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2016 23:10
Quote: "Maybe you could create a new sound using creatememblockfromsound?"

I'm not sure if that would work with OGG files though...
CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2016 12:45
There seems to be a problem with LoadObjectWithChildren()
I've modeled a keyboard in Blender, with the keys being separate meshes. When I try to load the OBJ file into AppGameKit with this command the model shows up fine, but when I try to list children/meshes the commands just return 0.

Has anyone had any success with loading in an object with multiple meshes? I'm trying to offset the meshes of the model, but I don't want to manually export/import each key of the keyboard.. that's a little tedious.
www.skywaygame.com
www.facebook.com/skywaythegame
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2016 14:32
Now that we have seamless music looping, my composer is asking for a specified time to loop from. That is, when the music hits the end it jumps to a specific time when looping, instead of looping from the start. This is very common for a lot of games. The song has an intro and then loops without it.
Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2016 16:16 Edited at: 19th Jul 2016 16:18
Quote: "Now that we have seamless music looping, my composer is asking for a specified time to loop from. That is, when the music hits the end it jumps to a specific time when looping, instead of looping from the start. This is very common for a lot of games. The song has an intro and then loops without it."

I requsted the same thing a few posts above yours so a big +1from me.
Also add an loop end point so the composer can create a complete track with intro -> looping part -> ending and the track can be sold on iTunes without any editing necessary (if the composer / developer wants to)
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2016 16:21
Quote: "Also add an loop end point so the composer can create a complete track with intro -> looping part -> ending and the track can be sold on iTunes without any editing necessary (if the composer / developer wants to)"

That could be the same command: SetLoopTime(start), SetLoopTime(start, end).
Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2016 16:28
Quote: "Quote: "Also add an loop end point so the composer can create a complete track with intro -> looping part -> ending and the track can be sold on iTunes without any editing necessary (if the composer / developer wants to)"

That could be the same command: SetLoopTime(start), SetLoopTime(start, end)."

Or PlayMusicOGG( musicId, loopFlag, loopStart, loopEnd)
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2016 17:00
That would work too I guess
hoyoyo80
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi...although not game related is it possible to have control on html form and sqlite ?
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2016 06:41
I just noticed that when using an icon.ico file, it appears that the icon used for the Windows 7 taskbar is a scaled up version of the icon used for the title bar (16x16) making the taskbar icon pixelated.
This happens even when I remove the low-resolution icons from the ICO file. When I did that, it appears to scale down the image for the titlebar icon then scale that image up for the taskbar icon.
Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2016 14:37
"Fixed Windows touch pen tap not triggering GetPointerPressed" - what was fixed in Build 2.0.19 not works again. Tested both of versions with Wacom Tablet (2.0.19 works fine).
Sh4d0xx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2016 05:53
OGG Support = Absolutely and utterly incredible.

Must download update now.
Shadow Props Digital
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2016 17:12
The online documentation for SetImageSavePixels isn't linked to from the Image reference page or the command search page.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2016 15:48 Edited at: 24th Aug 2016 13:43
6 Weeks since last release. Are we expecting yet another amazing new feature, or just the bugfixes mentioned here? I guess it is the summer hols.

EDIT:

Wow. V2.0.20 introduced a lot of bugs to features that were previously working fine. Just read about the QRCode bug - like many of the bugs we're seeing, this was working fine prior to v2.0.20 It's been a long time since the last update. Could we get a bug-fix release any time soon please Paul?

If it wasn't for the libpng update in this release, the number of new bugs warrants a roll-back.

Edit 2: Two months now since last release - is that a record? Is there anything we can do to help with the bug fixing? I can only imagine a new mega feature is being worked on, but who knows? Such a shame there's no dev blog for AppGameKit
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
@CJB I am not sure if Paul has even been active on these forums, or when the last post by him was. That is one of the reasons I gave up on AppGameKit, there just seems to be no urgency from TGC as regards this product, even when serious bugs are found to be present. It just kind of feels like a hobby project for TGC!
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
@CJB I am not sure if Paul has even been active on these forums, or when the last post by him was. That is one of the reasons I gave up on AppGameKit, there just seems to be no urgency from TGC as regards this product, even when serious bugs are found to be present. It just kind of feels like a hobby project for TGC!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2016 00:43
Paul is definitely active and has been seen recently. This thread is a recent example.
Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2016 08:08
It's summer, so Paul has probably had a few weeks off like normal people.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
On FB Rick posted that in September a new update is coming with some exciting features.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Using AGK2 Tier 1
fantomEngine - A powerful 2D game framework
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2016 14:07
PlayVideoToImage and SetDeviceCameraToImage! Sweet! Augmented Reality in AppGameKit
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2016 12:24 Edited at: 6th Sep 2016 14:35
I have a bug with Spine not loading animations. If you get a chance Paul can you take a look? Thread Link

EDIT: Nevermind it was a brain fart
Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 18:36:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 18:36:59