Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Translations, how to go about it

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello

I would like to translate my game's help windows for different languages. The only stumbling block is because the help windows are graphics, not text boxes, I would need to copy my help graphics over and over for each language, increasing the size of my game quite a bit. So then I thought I should put my help text into a file and read it in and display it in a text box. But then what about special characters like the French e acute etc? Do people worry about these?

So what's the best way to put translations into your games?

Thanks!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2016 21:24
Step 1 is creating a simple way to get the right text files for the language. I wrote a drop-in module for this here.

Secondly, there are code snippets on the boards somewhere here for writing text to a help box dynamically.

For accents etc, somebody else will have to help.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Scary Little Rabbit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2016 17:04 Edited at: 20th Oct 2016 20:15
hey there!

store your translation file(s) in Unicode UTF-8. get code to handle strings encoded with it here.

to place strings to screen use text objects with custom fonts: you need setTextExtendedFontImage() command and some function to map Unicode chars to ASCII ones, like this:

UPD

nah, try this instead.
error #1:
'too many stars, too many stares. disembody.'
Unicode yours
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2016 17:10 Edited at: 14th Sep 2016 17:11
Is it bad to export different versions for different localisations? i.e. don't include multiple versions of localised imagery in one big app. Instead, create a number of localised versions of the same project and export discreet APKs for each? I have no experience in this, so just throwing it out there.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 19:15:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 19:15:49