Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Send app data to email or file server

Author
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Greetings,

I'm currently building a store app where customers will be able to customize products via choosing and changing options.
the process is meant to be fun, interactive and above all, easy. Don't know why I chose AppGameKit to make an app like this, perhaps because it's ridiculously easy to make and deploy.

A question that's been going through my mind is how i'm going to send customer data to a server or to an email address. I have very little knowledge of this area and am
unsure where to begin or what equipment I would need.

I'm certain what i'd need to achieve is creating a file with the variables a customer has chosen in a readable format then sending that to my email or a file server of some kind
after the customer is happy with what they have made and checked out.

Also on the agenda is a payment method. Is PayPal integration something to consider or are plain old in-app purchases an appropriate approach?

Cheers for any help!
Real programmers don't comment their code, because if it was hard to write it must be hard to read!

- PixHil Entertainment
Download Pixel Smasher on the App Store today!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2016 06:49
This old DBPro thread is a really good start for anything server related. The equivalent commands are available in AGK.
In a nutshell, you can send everything in a URL string, or several calls.
You can extend the principles in this thread with SendHTTPFile().
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2016 08:02
You could use a service like parse.com - It's recently gone open source, and there are a lot of providers offering it at as a service now. ( try parseground.com )

I use it for my user accounts and push notifications and remote config, but you can also upload files if your user require more data storage. You can also add facebook login to parse now that AppGameKit has exposed the access token. I also use https://elasticemail.com/ to register new users to my email database when they create an account.

Carharttguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2016 20:21
Sending customer data in a HTTP request is a very bad idea IMHO.

1) Not encrypted, MITM attacks are way to easy.
2) Setting up a HTTP server to just send some variables is way to much overhead (and overhead brings insecurity most of the time)

Go with sockets, run a server with a socket listening and do with the data what you want to do.

Just my 2 cents!
Divided
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Cheers mate.

Quote: "Go with sockets, run a server with a socket listening and do with the data what you want to do."

If you could give me a run down on sockets or setting up a very basic server that would be sweet!
Networking isn't my expertise...
Real programmers don't comment their code, because if it was hard to write it must be hard to read!

- PixHil Entertainment
Download Pixel Smasher on the App Store today!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 17:31:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 17:31:12