Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK deleted my game??? My project randomly disappeared [please read]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So I turned on my computer to continue working on my app. When I opened up AppGameKit, it asked me to set a default location for projects. This was really weird as I done it before. When I tried opening up my project, it was empty. I opened up the original folder, and in it was my media folder with all my sprites, the apps .agk, the actual game and a main.agc. When i opened the app nothing came up. It was all empty, all my programming code was gone. I used Notepad++ to open the main.agc, and this is what is inside = http://prntscr.com/bqx47o It is 14513 in lenght.

as for the game, my very last version is still here as seen here http://prntscr.com/bqx4vf

Now, is there any way I can get this back? it was almost 1000 lines of code and i've been working on this project for well over 3 weeks. Is it possible to somehow reverse-engineer the windows executable to show the code?

Thank you very much guys any help is appreciated
Cruisin' down the street in my six-fo'
Jockin' the bitches, slappin' the hoes
-Gandhi, 2086
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
I have never experienced something like this myself when using AGK. Have you checked through the whole .agc file (i.e., word wrap) to see if there is any salvageable content or just all NUL? I notice the folder you have open there is a copy of your original project folder; I'm assuming the original folder also exhibits this corruption and that you may not have any other backup copies. Unfortunately if that's the case there may not be much help in recovering the data. The AppGameKit IDE includes a way to automatically create backup copies of your source code every time you save, but this is not a feature enabled by default so will not help you here unless you by some chance enabled it beforehand. Inspired by this post I just wrote a guide on how to enable and configure this feature.

[GUIDE] Enable automatic backup copies of your source code
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2016 09:01 Edited at: 10th Jul 2016 09:02
EDIT: Duplicate.
THE_NOTORIOUS_PIGGY
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, none of the code can be salvaged. Luckily I saved some code a while back. Only 200 lines out of 1000 but its better than losing everything. i am going to check out your thread and do the automatic saving thing because it coud lbe a lifesaver to people with an issue like me. Thanks xCept
Cruisin' down the street in my six-fo'
Jockin' the bitches, slappin' the hoes
-Gandhi, 2086
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2016 01:02
You should always use source control such as Git. This way you'll have back ups and you can also use a service such as Bitbucket so your code is on a server. So even if your harddrive crashes and dies, you'll still be able to get your source code back.
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2016 09:57 Edited at: 11th Jul 2016 10:16
Another solution : DropBox. (and not only for AppGameKit !)

You should work in a dropbox folder. DropBox automatically keep and save each version of each file in the cloud and If something goes wrong, you can revover it (or them) when you want with the dropbox web interface.

Works fine and transparently (no need to commit like a source control) and allow to work on AppGameKit projects on multiple computers with automatic file sync ( by default )
--------------------------------
Join us on dedicated AppGameKit WeeKChat :
https://week.chat/room/AppGameKit
THE_NOTORIOUS_PIGGY
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh! I didnt know that. Sounds like a great idea, i must look into it. Thanks guys
This is a family-rated forum, your signature has been erased.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2016 14:39
Quote: "When I opened up AppGameKit, it asked me to set a default location for projects"

This is triggered if the location "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\agk" doesn't exist or is corrupt.

Quote: "When I tried opening up my project, it was empty"

I don't know of anything that could cause this, but I don't know the Geany IDE that well. Given that the above happened then it's possible it couldn't read the file properly, so showed an empty document, but still managed to write this empty document when the IDE was closed, but I can't be sure. If this happens again then as soon as you see the empty document in the IDE, Ctrl-Alt-Del and end task the IDE so it doesn't save the empty document.

Quote: " Is it possible to somehow reverse-engineer the windows executable to show the code?"

Theoretically it's possible, but it would be very difficult, and probably look nothing like your original source code.
THE_NOTORIOUS_PIGGY
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright, thanks Paul! I have started using dropbox to save my files safely even if this ghetto laptop breaks down.
This is a family-rated forum, your signature has been erased.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 15:17:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 15:17:55