Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [GUIDE] Enable automatic backup copies of your source code

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2016 08:41 Edited at: 10th Jul 2016 08:45
One of the most obscure but valuable features of AppGameKit 2's IDE is the ability to make automatic time-stamped backups of your source code every time you save. Although a more formal approach to this would be setting up a local git repository and such, this built-in feature can go a long way to helping ensure you never overwrite good code with bad or otherwise end up with corrupted code. Here are the instructions for setting up this feature.

1.) Launch the AppGameKit IDE and then select Tools > Plugin Manager from the top file menu.

2.) Check the box next to "Save Actions" and then click on Preferences.

3.) Click on the Backup Copy tab and then check the "Enable" button.

4.) Select a directory to house all of your backup source files; I recommend this being on a separate drive from your main project files if possible (in case of hard drive failure).

5.) You can optionally adjust the date and time format that the source code will append as desired. It uses the strftime Linux properties and is very customizable. By default it will be in the format of YYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM-SS, but for instance you can remove some of the dashes like so "%Y%m%d-%H%M%S"

6.) Set the Directory Levels to Include in the Backup Destination to 1. This will automatically create a new folder in your previously defined backup directory (step #4) for each project you create, assuming you are storing your .agc files in each project's base folder.

7.) Click OK to save the settings and then click OK again to close the plugin manager.

Now, the next time you save any given source code, an exact copy of it at that point in time will be saved to your backup folder. This way if you ever irreversibly mess up your code you will always be able to recover any previously saved version and restore from that! You can clean out this backup folder whenever you wish but since they are just text source files they will not take up very much space.

THE_NOTORIOUS_PIGGY
Years of Service
User Offline
Very helpful thread I recommend everyone should do this especially if they are working on a massive project.
Cruisin' down the street in my six-fo'
Jockin' the bitches, slappin' the hoes
-Gandhi, 2086
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2016 12:12
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2016 16:06
Thanks, very useful
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2016 18:35
I make a lot of backups myself of my entire project. I delete the binary file in the media folder and then I 7z the entire project except my music files and upload it to a storage service. I name each with the date it's created and I have a bunch of them uploaded.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 15:16:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 15:16:52