Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / rat in a maze - best way to do it?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: X-Com, WOW-Legion
Posted: 11th Jul 2016 17:23
I am thinking of a turn-based first person rat-in-a-maze type of game (actually "heroic adventurer in abyssal dungeon" type of game)

It seems like there are multiple ways to draw the 1st person view, with images(sprites) as walls, with 3D objects, using tiles on a map (2 dimensional array) or set of X,Y coordinates that are read at update.

Since it is turn-based I'm not too worried about redraw speed and physics, etc. But I would like to try and take advantage of AGK's strengths rather than reinventing the wheel. Is going full 3d-world for something like this the way to go?

Mark

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2016 16:09
Hey,

I started a project like this (Dungeon Master / Legend of Grimrock style, not turn based) some time ago in Blitz3D (similar command set, but Windows only, totally outdated, and based on DX7) using full 3D.
I made a map editor which converted a 2D map into a 3D world. I used textured cubes and scaled them to create walls, doores, floors, ceillings, colums etc.
With just very little code your game can look fantastic using 3D.

Your game may be turn-based, but your party still need to walk (square transitions) between the turns, so you DO need speed.

I suggest you use 3D. Easiest and best-looking way

Cheers,
PSY
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2016 16:49
I've messed around with dungeon methods quite a lot, Captive is my all time favorite game and plan to make an awesome dungeon crawler inspired by it.

3D all the way, seriously these games were only 2D because 3D wasn't available. The map itself would be 2D, just like PSY pointed out, then these 2D tiles become 3D objects. Because frame rate isn't a massive concern, you could render to an image for example and add depth of field, refraction, reflection etc etc, make it really shine. There are some real nice shaders available for AppGameKit now, there's no reason why your game shouldn't look awesome in AGK.

Really there are a lot of benefits in making this sort of game, like path finding for example - it can be a flood fill based system, very easy to impliment compared to A*. Occlusion would be quite straightforward too. I'm sure there is a reasonably good market for these games too, people like slower paced RPG's, a lot of people just don't like games like Skyrim, and prefer slower, methodical RPG's. I'm always looking for dungeon crawlers on the app stores.
The code is dark and full of errors
Mark532011
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: X-Com, WOW-Legion
Posted: 12th Jul 2016 17:48
excellent!
I am so pumped to begin working on this, thanks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 23:51:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 23:51:25