Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Android 5+ push notification icon is a white square

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2016 07:30
I'm really trying to use AppGameKit without my old custom interpreter to save me headaches (but it's creating more!). The push notification icon is a white square. I see in my old android player/interpreter set up I had added extra code to get the notification icon correct.

This white icon looks very unprofessional. The requirement for a white push notification on Android has been present since Android 5 (2014) it's now 2 years later and we're almost on Android 7. It would be wonderful if AppGameKit could add the ability to use a notification icon. The Java code is very simple and you'd just have to place the icon in the drawable directory.

Here's the code:

Please note that this code also has some extra functionality to prevent notifications from showing while the app is in the foreground. This would also be a beneficial feature for AppGameKit apps to make them more professional.

PS - I'll give a Steam review if this is in the next build
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2016 13:43
Quote: "Please note that this code also has some extra functionality to prevent notifications from showing while the app is in the foreground."

That was fixed (for local notifications at least - haven't tested push notifications) in the last update.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2016 17:33
How do you set the specific icon for local notifications? Maybe it also overrides the push notification icon (but I sort of doubt it).
Thx
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2016 19:43 Edited at: 19th Jul 2016 19:44
No specific icon... I was only talking about the notifications showing when app in foreground bit. On my Jelly-Bean device (4.3) the notification icon is just a mini version of the app icon:

(Wow! That was bigger than I thought it would be! Haha)
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2016 03:19
Yeah starting with lollipop the notification bar icons have to be silhouettes and android removes any color from them. So if you have a square icon it just shows as a white square. I'm not sure if this holds true for local notifications, but I think it does. So we built that custom code to add on to AppGameKit to set the icon to our little silhouette icon. We're just going to change the icon as it is easier for now. You should probably check out your app on an updated Android device to see if the local notification icon is also affected (if you care).
Thanks for trying to help.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2016 03:53
Thanks, this is fixed for the next version, and the APK export dialog will have an option to select your own notification icon
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2016 03:09

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 17:25:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 17:25:21