Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / DirectX for the Hard of Programming

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been considering a game reworking in AppGameKit, and I still hit one roadblock - directx.

Am I right in understanding that AppGameKit will need a directx install on some OS versions? If so, which ones and what install? For example, will it run 'out of the box' on a pristine Win10 install, or Win7? Is there anything consistent I can pass on to users? Also, is there anything equivalent for mac osx, or can I just ship a dmg package w/o worries?

I sell through a distributor, so additional tech support is a real cost factor. Also, my end users are NOT big gamers - any directx install addon will be a big issue...

Thanks for any info.
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 20th Jul 2016 02:12 Edited at: 20th Jul 2016 02:16
AGK is OpenGL ES
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
If you are only deploying to Windows 8+ then as of AppGameKit V2.0.16 and above there is no need for DirectX components that aren't already installed with the default OS. However, AppGameKit still uses a different version of XAudio2 for Windows XP-Windows 7 and therefore the June 2010 DirectX runtime would need to be installed or at least the xaudio components of it. Again this is all related to audio-only commands; the visual work is all achieved through OpenGL/OpenGL ES. Unfortunately even if you don't use audio commands you'd receive an error on these older operating systems if the proper DirectX component was not installed. I am unsure if this will remain a requirement with the introduction of OGG audio in 2.0.20 but it would be worth clarifying with Paul.
DaveP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2016 07:49 Edited at: 20th Jul 2016 07:50
Thanks - that helps a lot - so >=win8 I'm golden - now if Natella can only get his way and convert the world to win10...
OceanJeff40
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2016 17:27
I'm just curious why any directx add on is an issue?
Assuming that it's a requirement, you could add it to the install (like in a batch file, or just a command in your program), or just have the user install it, or download and install it.
Am I right?
Jeff
Hi

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 17:35:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 17:35:19