Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Create 3D text?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2016 04:42
Is there an easy way to do this, like using a loaded fontimage and make it 3D just using AppGameKit commands?

Or do I have to create an object for each letter (upper and lowercase, so quite a few objects all told), import them and then have a routine to pick apart a string and create a 3D 'string' from that?
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2016 09:59
Quote: "create an object for each letter (upper and lowercase, so quite a few objects all told), import them and then have a routine to pick apart a string and create a 3D 'string' from them?"

This most likely.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2016 13:45
If you're coding in c++ then it can be done with OpenGL but if you're using Tier (the other one?) then you will have to create them yourself.
AGK V2 user - Tier 1 (mostly)
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2016 14:33
Tier 1 is basic, Tier 2 is C++.
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2016 20:55 Edited at: 21st Jul 2016 21:33
Ya know, this might be a worthy project, and could be sold on the store here, I'm sure.

EDIT: Just playing around with generating 3D text, I think it's totally do-able.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2016 22:25
I'd be careful that the poly counts don't end up too high - fonts are all vector based, and usually it is assumed that a 3D text would be used for rendering, rather than a game.

It's completely doable - but I'd dread organising the code for it I think. Maybe it's worth establishing some standards, like the depth and size of the character, filenames, 3D format etc... then people could add their own fonts, and the code to handle them can be a standard function set that could be pasted in or included. Would be cool to have it as an option that can be bolted on with little effort, I mean it is a lot of work, better to colaborate as much as possible I think.

I wonder though, if the font generation could be automated with a little DBPro program and that 3D text plugin, I think that generates a mesh, so could be saved out as .X format. This doesn't mitigate the polycount issue though unfortunately, but I'd be happy to give it a try... worth it just considering how long it would take to create and save out a whole font set, it could shorten the war by 7 years... going by my usual modelling speed at least
The code is dark and full of errors
haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jul 2016 23:14
or you can do what I do ,
take a snapshot of the 3d text , considering it doesn't really move a lot.
if it does move you will most likely need the real 3d object
but if you're gonna stick it to the screen somehow you can totally use high polygon text and use render to image at startup then put it inside a plane object.

thinking about it again
what vanB offered is a reliable way of doing it , then you can add what suggested above to keep the frame rates high.
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2016 23:17
Right Van, those are high poly count objects, gotta be to get smooth curves and edges.

How about some simulated 3D text?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jul 2016 23:31
Rich, Awesome
I have reedited your code
now you get a full 3d object
of the image you presented.
great job.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2016 23:47
Been looking at Cloggy's D3D DLL, it has commands to create 3D text as objects, lets you specify depth and low, medium, or high detail. Will see what I can come up with. The plane method is good for performance though - that's some outside of box thinking I like it.
The code is dark and full of errors
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2016 17:07
The D3D plugin doesn't create proper UV maps for the text edges, only the front and rear face.
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2016 21:22
haliop, very cool!

I'm guessing if the front render was one color, the intermediate renders were another, and the last render another color, we would have a very pretty 3D letter!
lineisyJanelle
Years of Service
User Offline
Any ideas why "New 3D extrusion from selected layer" could be inactive?
haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 30th Jul 2016 13:47
sure we can even create a new plane with a diffrent angle just near the main plane to create a fake shadow effect.
and every animation that works with 3d including physics will work wonderfull with the planes idea since it will be a very low poly count.. well actually just 1 poly that is

so now im thinking about

using GetImage at the start of an app
Creating a simple Text big enough for not losing any details , getting its induvidual chars using get image so you'll have 26 images for letters and 10 images for numbers and some signs images then using these images as an image for a plane object and walla you have 3d text all over the place with any font that can be assigned into CreateText using the Text apps that are presented here in the forum i cant remmber the name but the one who create Fonts for CreateTExt system you are unlimited in designs for 3d text.

cheers.
haliop.
(i am currently not on my main pc so i cant make an example , sorry)
haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Aug 2016 09:26
ok so this is what i came up with
let me remind you i dont have AppGameKit installed on this pc so its basicly psoudo code but with a bit of correcting it should work.

ok this should work but maybe i forgot something
just remmeber that 3dtextcreation needs to be at startup before assigning any new sprites...
then when you assign into the 3dtext type a string of the char you can look for it later on using the string rather then numbers.

cheers , please someone try this and correct , still no pc with AppGameKit installed i miss it so much ...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 16:39:43
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 16:39:43