Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a question about AppGameKit? Im learning about Darkbasic and im halfway through the HODBP volume 2 book. I find the tool that converts a .map file to .bsp wont work on windows 10. Is AppGameKit better than Darkbasic pro? and if so does it come with any tools like cartography shop? for creating 3d assets/buildings thats the language commands will work with?

Thankyou
Chris
C.R.Sellen
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2016 23:11
There's a project over in showcase currently being developed to allow the loading of GameGuru levels in AGK. It looks very promising... alas it is currently on hold due to a bug with the latest AppGameKit (CreateObjectFromObjectMesh is crashing). Hopefully we'll see a bugfix release soon.

Thread here: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/216912
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2016 23:48 Edited at: 25th Jul 2016 23:49
Quote: " Is AppGameKit better than Darkbasic pro? "

That's a pretty subjective question. DBPro is no longer in development and hasn't been for many years. AppGameKit is still currently in development, supports many more platforms and is a little 'slicker' IMO, but still lacks some features that DBPro had.

Quote: "does it come with any tools like cartography shop?"

No, none. Forum users are working on other solutions as CJB mentioned, but nothing official.

Quote: " 3d assets/buildings thats the language commands will work with"

AGK supports many object types, many of them DBPro supported. The currently supported formats are .X .3ds .md3 .smd .md5 .lwo. .ac .b3d .dae .3d .lws .ms3d .blend .m3 .obj and .ago (According to the help file.)

I like DBPro's ability to allow for dll plugins to expand the language which AppGameKit doesn't support.
I also like AGKs cross platform and broadcasting ability. AppGameKit can be played on many devices, from Windows, Mac, Linux, Raspberry Pi, Android, iOS, HTML5, Universal Windows Platform and even the Xbox one. (UWP apps are basically HTML5 apps packaged through the Visual Studio IDE to create a UWP project, which will also run on a developer build XBOne.)
Chrissell
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for you help. I have Game Guru and it would be great to load maps into the language. That sounds cool.
C.R.Sellen

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 19:08:17
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 19:08:17