Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / More complete products (AGK,DBP)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2016 01:48 Edited at: 30th Jul 2016 20:30
( i hope this belongs here,if not,excuse me and feel free to translate it)

Hello community,

Lately i have been thinking of why programms like DBP or Blitz3d failed for the new times.
I myself have been around sinse 2001 with DB,but soon realized i like modelling not programming.
Anyway, one could say we live in beautiful times, with a boom on free engines or atleast very cheap ones and i ask myself,were products like AGK(The one alive) would fit?
I know there are many programmers that like it dirty but would be that enough to survive and keep speed in the "Basic" world or would be a change to a more complete suite, THE next step?

My concern is really simple, i believe AppGameKit should evolve to a unity or unreal or godot like application in order to attract not only programmers,
But everyone,2d and 3d artists alike and so gain a bigger community and more income. I believe that is what makes those apps strong (unity,unreal,godot),something that AppGameKit (or DB,BB3D,3drad) lacked from day one.
I have been playing with godot and i must say thats how a game engine should look like,note,its a lenguage (own-scrypt) but thanks the editors,its open and attractive to everyone,bringing somebody that is not interesting in programming on the boat,to use the engine even if just to import the levels or just basics with visual scripting.

I believe basic is a beautiful lenguage for mobile games,and mobile entertainment came to stay, but it could be more wich would just benefits everyone.
So,how do you people view this? Could it have been better if that "Complete" step would have been done? I can just point towards godot and ask for opinions.
Feel free to comment or even to tell me if i am talking nonsense

Ps: This is in no way a engine vs engine, lenguage vs engine, x vs y thread, all competitors names are just for reference to express my points.
Chase it!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2016 22:56
I think it depends on what works for the user, I feel variety is better, in that, if say AppGameKit was like Unity, Unity does what Unity does really, really well has a much bigger budget and AppGameKit would simply not compete. AppGameKit is I guess what DBP was like for me, a simple entry into games programming that actually gives me quite quick results coding. I can just jump in and experiment more easily than I would versus something like Unity. At least, from a programming aspect. I guess for something, this is more attractive. The concepts in AppGameKit I would argue are easier to grasp from programming aspect. I have not used Godot, so I would not be fair in making a comparison. For me, it was a stepping stone into programming (DBP), yet powerful enough to provide powerful results, though outdated today, but AppGameKit is relevant at least and is essentially our modern DBP. I think "simple" is the mantra at TGC, I guess, especially looking at their other products. And I guess "Powerful" is the mantra of Unity and Unreal and Godot still looks more complex than something like AGK. Whilst complexity can be a lot more powerful and flexible, simplicity can be more attractive to some people.

So I think AppGameKit does fill a niche in the way that it has been done, like DBP once did. Not necessarily a niche that has Lee Bamber in a mansion fed grapes by beautiful people whilst he sits in his boxers enjoying reruns of the Jeremy Kyle show, but at least he can still watch the Jeremy Kyle show.

I think the other thing to bear in mind is money, resources and the risk factor (pouring that money and time into something that ends up flopping).
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 30th Jul 2016 23:16
Haven't used AppGameKit in a while, same for DBPro, and while they are great programs to get into game making and programming, I moved onto Unity (won't use it again though, especially because of the new license ) and now Unreal engine because they are more complete, but it also means there's more to learn.
I'm an artist mainly (2D/3D, music, level design, etc...), and for me it's a joy to work with programs that have an easy art pipeline workflow, which you don't have in DBPro or AppGameKit, so I think that an easier art pipeline for AppGameKit would really help creating games easier/faster. But you can't compare AppGameKit and Unreal or Unity in terms of integrated features. They all have their specific audience.
The blueprint system in Unreal gives me all what I need to get gameplay done. I'm not the best in programming, but I do understand the logic behind things, and using the blueprint system I can create that logic.
Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
Portishead
Years of Service
User Offline
@Seppuku Arts,

Totally agree, One thing i had to lern is to use the tool that gave me what i need at the moment and dont base projects or waste time on what will be or should be. AppGameKit does indeed fill a niche even more so i believe because is BASIC, i dont know many of its kind. on another note, the trend has gone to a more complete package and while i believe it dosnt have to be an unreal at all, even a 2d-editor, like the one in godot wouldnt hurt,heck, i strongly believe it will push it up.

Thank you for your very valid points, indeed is money and risk a big factor, it would just be kind of sad to see it fail when actually the mobile sector is booming and agk fully capable is,atleast for 2d, therefor my thoughts on what could it be lacking to make it more attractive not just for programmers

@The Slayer,

hehe,you understand where am comming from .. I actually do the same, i enjoy making levels and some basic things. Unreal was very good because as soon as i download it, i found myself importing levels and playing them with the side-scroller presets, Something that got me very excited and while not digging deeper into blueprints,it is something i certainly will do.
I dont believe at all agk should be a monster like unity or unreal,not feature wise, i was thinking more on that little big details (like editors) that make a great impact on people,surely adding to the sales and the reputation,i say that because i myself would be one of those artists buying it,would that be the case.

-Thank you both for sharing your views

Chase it!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 03:52:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 03:52:02