Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Any easy-to-follow tutorial or introduction to shaders?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2016 19:09
Hi all,

I want to learn about shaders and how to use them. I just don't know where to look.

I've read the one page about shaders in AGK's documentation but I didn't find it very useful (sorry). I tried googling for tutorials also but I didn't find anything easy for a total noob to follow. I'd like to find some tutorials or comprehensive examples like 'when to use shaders' or step-by-step guides for how to create a part or a whole sprite look wet, or how to create top-down water ripples. Well, I don't probably want to create this kind of effects right from the beginning but to slowly start getting knowledge about shaders from ground up.

Thank you for your time.
Mah machine: Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 4x3.40GHz | CM Hyper 212 Evo | ASRock H97 Pro4 | 240GB SanDisk SSD | Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Dual-X 2048MB | Seagate HDD 1000GB |
8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 5th Aug 2016 23:12
There is no point in developing shaders for Tier1 as it is lacking key functionality to use shaders.
You would need to use Teir2 which is C++ to get access to the matrix commands.
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2016 00:04
Quote: "There is no point in developing shaders for Tier1 as it is lacking key functionality to use shaders."
Seriously? I've seen shaders working in Tier 1, including water ripple effects and such (just look in the community shader thread for details - it's stickied so easy to find, but here's a link just in case: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/214598).

You always come across as very negative about AGK. Almost like you have a personal vendetta. At least you managed to get a small slice of the pie!

There are many ways to skin a cat, but built-in matrix functions would be useful.

Paul, please expose the matrix functions in Tier 1 to allow use of (and easier development of) a wider variety of shaders. Thanks!

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 17:24:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 17:24:56