Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / global illumination shader?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2016 13:26 Edited at: 16th Aug 2016 11:00
Hey community!
Is it at the momentary development stage of AppGameKit possible to build an effect like the one in the attached picture?
and if "yes" is anyone of you able to code such a shader?
Thanks for your answers!

janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2016 17:51 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2017 14:15
I'm pretty sure it is possible in AppGameKit somehow, But not in real-time and for non real-time lighting you better use model programs which bake light-maps.
I'm also sure there are games which use GI today but then they cheated it in(there are some techniques to simplify it like voxel cone tracing) ...or it's the Crytek engine ^^
I think someone made a demo for DBpro ...
GI is used in ray tracing engines and render film scenes where you don't need to calculate it 30-60 times per sec..basically it's still a hardware problem for good real-time Global Illumination.
And I don't want to tinker with stuff nobody will use because it is so demanding that it can only run on very good hardware : )

Better try Ambient occlusion
Hm Ambient occlusion is a kind of GI ...
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2016 07:42
I See the point. I think i was searching for the second one. So I'm all ears for that "ambient Occlusion" thingy! Do you think it could be done?

Btw: Kuper once had something running he called "Most Fake Global Illumination". Describes it well, but does not look so bad from a distance. Seems to be kind of a Bloom Shader. Did never test it, as my brain starts to hurt if i try shader stuff.
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/212559
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2016 12:22
This sort of effect is very hardware demanding and in video games that use it, 99.9% of the time is calculated once during the load time and only for static objects. Trying to calculate this sort of lighting effect on dynamic objects, especially character object would kill any platform, even the most powerful pc rig would be destroyed by the shear calculations..

My advice, use a modeling program to bake an AO map for your static models, especially level objects. Than layer that AO map over the diffuse map in your image editing software. This will not only make everything pre-calculated and allow the game engine to load objects quickly and render them with absolutely no issues, but you'll be surprised how amazing objects look with an AO map bake and the amount of detail that it brings out!

Here's some examples to show you:

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 17:26:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 17:26:23