Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Animated billboard texture

Author
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2016 15:36
Hi all,

So in my 2.5D game, I'm using billboards for the enemies (think like Wolfenstein 3D) and they need to animate. I can't seem to find any references to animated texture functionality in AppGameKit, and I can't use Sprites since the enemies need to be able to travel behind 3D world objects, so I thought I'd put this out there and see if anyone else has run into this and what they may have done as a solution?

I know that I could load in each frame for each enemy as a separate image file and then write a manager that swaps out the textures as needed, but that seems an awfully inefficient way to do it...
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2016 16:00
In the "useful community shader" thread someone got animated billboards via shader. maybe this helps?
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2016 16:10
Might do! I'll give it a go!
JohnStabler
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2016 10:53
Have you tried using the SetObjectUVOffset() and SetObjectUVScale() functions? I think they'll let you specify a single spritesheet per object and then you just change the offset to animate. Better performance than changing an object's texture every frame.
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2016 11:35
Sounds like it could be fesable. I'd just have to try and write some kind of manager for it, I guess, and try to standardize my animation frames a bit!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 17:34:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 17:34:49