Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Google Merchant sign-up without a business?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
How do you guys sell your apps if you don't actually own a business? You have to enter legal business information when setting up a google merchant account, which is needed for in app purchases. Do you just write your name and make something up? Would there be any consequences if I were to do that?
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2016 17:06
u must read what is allowed in your country if u trade with other countries, may u get infos at a public office in your city.
for most countries google pay the tax to the countries, but not at all.
minimum u must give google your address data and for usa u must fill out a online document.
some countries allow a "free" amount of money transfer without tax if u not have a business/company.
if "u" pay the taxes direct or indirect everything should be fine.
u can also exclude a country in app settings.

AGK (Steam) V2.0.20 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (16.3.2) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2016 21:31
Generally you need a business to be able to legally sell anything to consumers. But like Markus says, this can vary between countries and you should check with your tax authority/government.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2016 22:19
I think in the UK you can legally trade and do business as an individual (known as a "Sole Trader"). You can even use a trading name of your choice (as long as it isn't the same as another existing business - you'll get slapped!). This isn't always preferable though as you will be personally responsible and liable for any risk taken. For example, if you ran up a huge phone bill doing your business, but your business failed to make any money, you'd still have to pay the bill. Whereas a registered Ltd company that failed wouldn't (obviously, because the business would no longer exist - hence "Limited" liability).

I haven't set up any In App Purchases yet (but I need to for my current project Fruit Smoothie), so I'd be interested to hear how you get on!

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Midget Blaster
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, so I am living in Ireland at the moment. I am joining a Business-setup class soon, so I guess ill ask everything there. Also, since I'm 17, I can't upload my app to apple since I'm not 18, but with a business I can but I'm still not very sure about selling now. I remember in business class learning about sole trader years ago but not going to lie i slept all over that class
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2016 07:29
i think in case of the google play store, google is the trader and you only get the rest of money if you sold a game or in-app.
and you habe a agreement with google.
AGK (Steam) V2.0.20 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (16.3.2) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
Midget Blaster
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you @Markus, I will be looking towards being a sole trader.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2016 16:51
One thing to be aware of with Google Play, they will publicise your address, which is not something I particularly want publicised! - I get enough junk mail as it is.

Perhaps trying Amazon first is a better option, get your feet wet with no sign-up fee, no published address and a more straightforward approval process. I think timing is very important, it might be an idea to tackle Amazon first, then wait on Google Play deciding to promote a few indie titles - otherwise you're just tossing your coin into the fountain and hoping that it somehow floats to the surface. Tackle Google Play with a marketting strategy and tons of media, videos etc.
The code is dark and full of errors
Midget Blaster
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm, interesting point. How exactly do they publicise your address?
Actually I found out

So I guess you need to make a company and rent out some office block and add in that address.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2016 22:10
Nah, you can use your home address, but I'd get your parents permission first, perhaps you'd need them anyway considering you need a credit card to sign up to Google play.
Midget Blaster
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I already have my own credit card, well, visa debit card so that's no problem. However, using a home address I feel would be a little bit dodgy If people know it, with my dumb imagination I would think people would try and kill me. Lol
But if I used my address, how would people check? Do you go onto developer, and it shows it there?
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2016 17:11
I used a fake address. I have reasons why my home address CANNOT be publicly accessible. I know it's against the rules, still, my families safety comes first.

It really is a stupid and thoughtless decision on Googles part if you ask me.
Midget Blaster
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah mobiius, I agree with you on that.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2016 18:14
Your address is shown at the bottom of the store page. It is like they actively discourage our sort if you ask me!

I'm not sure that a debit card will do - I'm sure it rejected mine so I had to use a credit card :/
Midget Blaster
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Was it a visa, mastercard, american express or maestro or something else?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2016 22:45
I've changed cards since then, but I'm sure it was a Maestro, ended up using a Visa instead.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2016 08:41
A company must have a legal address and that's public information. You should get a PO box if you are worried.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2016 12:50
PO boxes cost money.
Small developers like myself aren't companies, so shouldn't have to disclose this kind of information publicly. Should only need this if you make a certain amount of money per year. I've made £7.50 in 5 years so deffo not a company! I'm not in it for the sales, just for the fun. (Until I make the next killer app that is!)
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2016 16:10 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2016 16:11
In Sweden you used to be able to make some money as a hobbyist. But that has been removed. So you have to register a company, do bookkeeping and pay tax, even if you only make almost nothing. It's pretty sad.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 17:28:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 17:28:55