Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Clarity on IP connections - UDP or TCP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys,

Regarding the AGK's Tier 1 network commands, I've looked at the docs, guides and commands, and searched the forums, but the few answers I found were indecisive. Can someone please answer the following questions?

1. Does the AppGameKit use UDP or TCP for network connections?
2. If it uses UDP (which I think it does):
a. Do I need to build error catch-alls into my server and client network code?
b. Is there any error correction and tolerance built in to the AppGameKit? (Especially on the host end?)
c. Assuming it's UDP, will the host keep trying to send the network message to the client until its queue is cleared?
3. What limits (physical and practical) are there on the number of host connections?

If it helps, I'm a CCNA trained network engineer, so I don't need the underlying concepts of IP, TCP and UDP explained. I'm just trying to figure out what I am dealing with the AppGameKit itself, and how to make the best of it.

Also, can we please have better (or easier to find) documentation about the network functions? Can a section about this be added to the Official Tutorial Guide? Please?

Cheers,

Winston.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2016 11:27 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2016 11:29
it using tcp because advantages opposite to udp.

theoretical free ports from 0 - 65535.
AGK (Steam) V2.0.20 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (16.3.2) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
SirWinston
Years of Service
User Offline
Is UDP support planned?
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Did you saw this?

https://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/guides/8_networking.htm

It mentions TCP.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Using AGK2 Tier 1
fantomEngine - A powerful 2D game framework
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Then this topic from 2012, Paul says that broadcast are using UDP.

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/195872
-----------------------------------------------------------
Using AGK2 Tier 1
fantomEngine - A powerful 2D game framework
SirWinston
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Mike. Sorry for the slow reply. I've been busy coding.

Yep, I saw the networking guide. It clearly states that TCP is used, but I read a fair bit of mud around the subject (with regard to the AGK's implementation), like the post you mentioned. It makes me wonder if the AGK's definition of "broadcast" apply only to the broadcast commands (e.g. GetBroadcastMessage), or if it also applies to directed broadcasts, such as SendNetworkMessage commands sent to client 0? The latter would be a concern for me. I'm using SendNetworkMessage's directed broadcasts thoughout my game's server and client apps, and I'd need to address the unreliability of UDP in some areas (e.g. network game session initialization sequence).
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2016 21:45
SendNetworkMessage uses TCP, when sending to client 0 the message is sent to the server which then duplicates it to all known clients, again over TCP. The only parts of AppGameKit that use UDP are the broadcast listener commands like CreateBroadcastListener which are used for network discovery and listen for packets sent to 255.255.255.255. HostNetwork broadcasts its presence to the local network which can be picked up by these commands.
SirWinston
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Paul. That makes sense

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 11:43:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 11:43:43