Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Spriter or spine, which one should I choose?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all!
I'm thinking buy one. Since I do not know use any of them...
What would you recommend me?
Which has better support in AppGameKit?
I have seen in spriter web that includes 260 built-in animations which is apoint in its favor...

Thanks for your help and attention.
Regards.
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2016 15:37
Spriter is free. So you can use Spriter in AGK2, but if you need the more professional tool, I would use Spine. I have both, but I bought them, when they where Early Access years ago. They both still in developement.
The main differences are:

- Spine has a Setup-Room and an Animation-Room, if you change your Setup, all your animations will be adjusted to it
- Spine needs bones, what is realy great
- Spine can do mesh deformation and make so 3D looking effects for example
- Spine now has pathes

- Spriter has no Setup-Room, so if you change your charakter you have to change all your animations by hand, but you can use the first frame for that sometimes in a way
- Spriter is mixing bone animations and no bone-animations, which is a problem in decoding
- Spriter is not so got in Mesh-deformation
- Spriter could do Sound in the animation for testing, but Spine could do events, which can trigger sounds in your game e.g.

To test, if Spine or Spriter is faster in AGK2, you could do the following:

Use the Spriter-Example-Prject or the Spine-Example-Project, and load a bunch of Animations,
you have to copy maybe some of the assets from the media-folder.
Loading a Spriter file is much more "expensive", because of the seperate images. But to be sure, you have to have the SpineBoy as a Spriter-File,
or the GreyGuy in Spine.

The Setup-Pose in Spine could save you a lot memory, you could do previews, without the need of all animation-data.

LoadImage(4,"test.png")

For i=1 to 100
//LoadSkeleton2DFromSpineFile(i,"Spineboy.json",5,4,1)
LoadSkeleton2DFromSpriterFile(i,"GreyGuy.scon",3,1) // because it could be, that the Spriter-Guy is bigger?
PlaySkeleton2DAnimation(i,"walk",0,1,0)
//SetSkeleton2DAnimationFrame(i,"walk",i,0)
SetSkeleton2DPosition( i, mod(i,10)*100, (i/10)*100 )
Next

smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2016 20:48
i have spriter pro and it's great for me and i have no experience with 2D or 3D programs at all (except a few quick trials), it's easy enough to use after watching just a few basic tutorials i was up and running in no time and the amount of control you have is perfect while not getting overly confusing if you don't need it.
Quote: "Spriter has no Setup-Room, so if you change your charakter you have to change all your animations by hand, but you can use the first frame for that sometimes in a way"

you don't need it because as you said, any changes just need to be made in the first frame and then as long as you assign it to the desired bone it will update in the animations as well.

i haven't used spine but as f4ktor said, you can get a free version to test and see for yourself, i just got pro because it was on steam summer sale
life\'s one big game
spec= 2.6ghz, 1gb ram, 512mb gpu, directx 9.0c, dbpro and classic
BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the comments, i'll try free versions of the programs to see which one is better for me since AppGameKit supports same features for both programs.

Thanks for your advices!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2016 20:24 Edited at: 8th Sep 2016 20:27
Quote: "- Spine can do mesh deformation and make so 3D looking effects for example"

This can result in some really amazing looking animations. Is it supported in AGK2?

Here's an example I just found:

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2016 09:47
I backed both on Kickstarter so I now own both full products and I find Spine much easier to use. I think there are still a few features which don't work in AppGameKit such as mesh deformation (I could be wrong) but I still find it very intuitive and use it over Spriter despite having a whole bunch of character packs for Spriter. I have no character packs for Spine but still prefer it.

You should try Spine as I think there's a free demo but try Spriter too!
Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 19:11:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 19:11:23