Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / What are you up to, lately?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2016 03:08
Hey everyone! Remember me?

Well, if you do, please drop a line here.

I've been dropping in every now and then only to see everything on here stagnate more and more. Sad to see but also often discussed so I won't rant on about it.
Its just makes me sad to see all of the communities I've been fond off during the last decade slowly die being replaced by...nothing really.
Social media depresses me so I refuse to use it. Its also not suitable to talk about hobbies like game development. (Its designed for people with a pre-existing relationship (friends,family,coworkers) rather than information based conversations about a specific topic. Forums are a community of shared interest and especially techy hobbies like ours needs a lot of information to be discussed in detail and intelligently. It also has to be stored for future readers....social media does a substandart job at all of these.)

I see that a lot of you old clams are still around here! Thats good to see. Mind sharing what you have been up to lately? Are you still making/modding games? If so, what tools and software are you using lately? Do you have a work in progress project on? Anything else you wanna share?

I grew increasingly weary of the whole "indie game dev" thing and what it became and am pretty much just working on things for fun every now and then. Its still relaxing and rewarding to me, especially after a long day. However,I withdrew from most of the larger communities. Currently tinkering on this project here. Yes! I know...still with the lazy non-coders. My models and media can be browsed here. (still using milkshape ) and I have released this Mini-Mod for TESblivion.

There is of course my fantasy game project, but that is more of a personal project as I have strong doubts that I'll ever release that. Its more of an ongoing art project.

I haven't posted here lately but I'm a mod on the game guru boards and have been active over there.

So!! I'd really love to hear from you and curious to see who is still around.

-Wolf

\"If the mods didn’t see it, I didn’t do it!\" - Rick Bamber
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2016 14:30
Howdy!
I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I grew up on these forums. I was one of those obnoxious kids with no sense of grammar. Sometimes when I need to feel humble, I go look at those old posts. Ah... The old days.
I pretty much left DarkBasicPro mid way through highschool. I still came to the Geek Culture board often though, checking out the nonsense that took off there College was rough on the game making hobby. I feel like going to class and trying to do well in school (for a comp sci degree) put the hobby on the back burner, and eventually it sort of dwindled out of existence. Luckily, in my last year of college, I got on a senior project building out a game system in Monogame. It re-sparked the old love. It felt good to be back in the game-dev space, but it was short lived. Out of college, I got a job at your standard fare government R'n'D company, and now I write webapps and various C# servers. It pays well, and I can't complain, but I've felt a yearning to get back to game development (hence, why I checked this board randomly out of the blue today).

My buddy and I have been trying to learn lowish level directX, which has been pretty fun. We don't really have anything thing to show for it yet, but I swear that its coming along nicely (texturing, lighting, shadowing, whooo). I found out about a thing called HandMadeCon this November, which is a conference in Seattle for people who like to build stuff from scratch. I am super interested in going to that.

It would be cool to hear what other people have been up to. Like I said, I grew up here. I was on here pretty much every day, reading up on stuff. Where have the wizards of yester-year gone?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2016 15:52
Hi Wolf - some of us old crusties are still kicking about.

Currently working on a DBPro/DX11 game creator - you only fully realise how limiting DX9 can be once you start using the DX11 features. It's using Rudolpho's DX11 plugin. I also have a mostly completed AGKex project as part of EduGuru, TGC's education project based on AppGameKit Tier 2 and C++. I also have a work project for AppGameKit, trying to engineer a paperless production lot tracking system.

I wouldn't dismiss Facebook for game development, really it depends on what you want to talk and hear about. I was dubious, but really it's not a bad thing to have some real posts on my FB page, developers talking about developing, or just retro gaming ,or whatever developers are thinking is a lot more relevant to me than what someone had for their dinner, what dead celebrity meme is proclaiming an opinion, or what a cat does you leave the house. It might well be the only reason to be on Facebook - more often than not I'm interested in what is being posted, or I have an opinion on it - so signing up for these things makes Facebook relevant for me - it's not just to save money on mobile phone messages or troll gun activist reposts. It kinda helps make up for the lack of oldbies and chatterboxes on the forum a bit.
The code is dark and full of errors
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2016 22:21 Edited at: 7th Sep 2016 22:22
Hola! Good seeing you, not a face we've seen for a while. See, nobody ever truly leaves (One of us! One of us! One of us!)

So, me? I ended up graduating from University and ended up in a dead-end job I hate passionately. Almost walked out a few times in the last month, then remembered, 'money' lol. Decided my degree wasn't as good at getting a job as I might have hoped, as I found a lot of competition with the handful of jobs doing what I wanted to do out there. So in my spare time, whatever time I get to spend on coding has been on learning various bits of web development, which I've been doing for the last couple of years. I figured I enjoy coding, why not get a job I enjoy and there's a demand in our area for web developers, add that the job pays well and I've looked at the requirements for a lot of these jobs and am trying to cater to them. I did start working towards ASP.NET certification but have since settled for something more rounded first that'll get my skills for an entry level job (however, it was good to learn basic ASP.NET and Ruby On Rails), what I'm working on ATM will help me build a portfolio with the projects I have to submit and what I've been learning has actually been pretty solid. It covers a good amount of JQuery, HTML, CSS, SASS, JavaScript, AngularJS, NodesJS and a few more things on the backend too and good coding practices too. A lot better than when I tried working toward ASP.NET certification, I ended up dropping the course material I had and went to the internet instead, because the course material was awful and did not follow through.

Oh, I became a mod apparently, not banned anybody yet, so I am sad about that.

As for projects? I don't have anything to show. I mean, there is the website I developed for my RolePlaying group, I coded the front end and backend to it (Ruby On Rails), coded a basic forum for it and a couple of other useful features. It's currently down at the moment, I recently updated it with a couple of bug fixes and new features and found that my host updated bundler since I last updated the site and apparently there's issues with Windows .gemfiles, as I develop on Windows and the host is using Linux, I will have to figure out a work around. It work perfectly hosted from my PC, but I believe the problem is a version issue between what Ruby gems my host thinks it should be using and what my PC is using, so it'd be an easy fix I imagine, just specify specific versions in the gemfile.

I have been tempted to get back into making games in my time, I was using Unity3D previously, I did have a project idea I've put ideas down for and started looking at how I'd make it. That'll be in the future.

Also, as being the nerd I am, I have successfully been running a roleplay community online for over 3 years now.
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2016 09:35
not much really... i guess it could summarize as moving grains of sand from one side of the sandbox to other and back again..

PlayBASIC To HTML5/WEB - Convert PlayBASIC To Machine Code
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2016 12:57
Hi Wolf! Long time no see.

In real-life, I have sort of fallen into a web developer role at my current workplace (of 5 years now!), looking after the full stack for a couple of insurance related websites, plus a multitude of consultancy and support activities. It pays the bills (just about!).

In my "what I love doing" life, I've remained fairly active in the AppGameKit boards, and am looking to publish a bunch of games and apps soon (my current WIP is here). My intention is to grow a nice 2nd income through my publications, which will give me the opportuinty to (eventually) do it full time. So many ideas, but sadly not enough time. I wish there were enough AppGameKit developers out there to start some coding groups for real-life social and codeathon meet ups, but sadly we appear to be few and far between.

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2016 00:40
Hey Wolf, Shavra is looking quite impressive my friend.

I am still plugging away on Sulium, but progress has been greatly affected by work and family, I just haven't had the same kind of time and energy I did a year or two ago for any sort of hobby work.

After working in Web app development for a couple of years, I switched over and took a position as system administrator. It keeps me busy, and when it doesn't, my 4 year old does instead

But things are good, and slow progress is still progress and my interest in the project and in games development is unwavering even if it is on the back burner now and then

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2016 06:33
Hey everyone!

Nice to see some familiar...avatars.

@flashing snall :
Quote: "I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I grew up on these forums. I was one of those obnoxious kids with no sense of grammar. Sometimes when I need to feel humble, I go look at those old posts. Ah... The old days."

I can relate! These boards taught me 80% of my english. Very old posts of mine can be pretty embarrassing too.

@Van B: Hey Van! As someone who quite enjoys messing around with elaborate shader effects...yes! DX11 is a dream. Performance....lighting....stability! . But I'm still stuck with DX9 for most of my dabblings. (Also kinda annoyed by the amount of discussions I had about directx lately. So many people in game development talk about it but don't actually know what it is and just assume that its this omnipotent magical algorithm.)
Oh! To whom it may concern: They recently modded Gothic2 to run under DX11 with great results.
I had no idea you where directly involved with AppGameKit!! Interesting.

Quote: "I wouldn't dismiss Facebook for game development,"

Eh! At least not entirely from an objective perspective. I can see how they can be useful but for me the cons far outweigh the pros.

@Seppuku Arts: Heya! ...and no, we all come back sooner or later. Be it just to check up on the old timers here.

Quote: "So, me? I ended up graduating from University and ended up in a dead-end job I hate passionately."

Wait! Didn't you work in a call center that you hated? So you went through all the trouble to acquire a degree...so you can upgrade to a job that you also hate? I don't think I'd have bothered.
All joking aside: Congratulations... or condolences...whatever is appropriate. At least you have a degree and will find out just how trivial that is on the job market. No! I mean, you can start building towards a different career in your field. Yes! Lets be positive here.
Quote: "Almost walked out a few times in the last month, then remembered, 'money' lol."

Being hilariously broke for a while is not too horrific in the first world, it can even be kinda funny if you have a good sense of humour and loyal friends. As long as you don't have any extra mouths to feed, that is. Quit a couple times, got fired 2 times... I experienced it and once you crossed that threshold you'll realize: Another terrible job is just waiting with putrid open claws to swallow you whole and smother you with excitement and... I forgot where I was going with this. Professionally, I was spending a lot of time educating myself and am as good as done with my job-mercenary work and will soon start up my own business. The previous attempt at that has been delayed to spring 2017. Will likely be tough! But hey! If you never try, you have already lost, right?

Quote: "help me build a portfolio with the projects I have to submit "

Will get you a better job far quicker than a degree. Best to have both though. (at least in the local job market where I am from)

Quote: "Oh, I became a mod apparently, not banned anybody yet, so I am sad about that. "

Awww! Don't feel bad! Your day will come. I've only banned spammers so far over at the GG board.

Quote: "running a roleplay community online for over 3 years now."

What kind of roleplay, if I might ask?

@Kevin Picone: You live in australia, don't they have enough sand on either side?

@CJB: Hi! Web developing is really a reoccuring profession on these boards. Understandably, its a decent job.

Quote: "My intention is to grow a nice 2nd income through my publications"

I wish you best luck with that!

@Ortu: Hey! And thanks!!

Quote: "I am still plugging away on Sulium, but progress has been greatly affected by work and family, I just haven't had the same kind of time and energy I did a year or two ago for any sort of hobby work."

I know the feeling all too well. I'm also around long enough to know that those fantasy game projects we have going rarely ever make it to a finished state. Most of the time its not the point anyway.

Quote: "my interest in the project and in games development is unwavering even if it is on the back burner now and then"

The wide eyed enthusiasm is pretty much gone for me, but I keep coming back. It relaxes me a lot and I just enjoy doing it.

-Wolf

\"If the mods didn’t see it, I didn’t do it!\" - Rick Bamber
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2016 12:52 Edited at: 10th Sep 2016 12:53
Quote: "Wait! Didn't you work in a call center that you hated? So you went through all the trouble to acquire a degree...so you can upgrade to a job that you also hate? I don't think I'd have bothered."

Nah, it's the call centre I'm still at. The degree was before...maybe my sense of time is completely off from when I last saw you on here.

Quote: "Being hilariously broke for a while is not too horrific in the first world, it can even be kinda funny if you have a good sense of humour and loyal friends. As long as you don't have any extra mouths to feed, that is. Quit a couple times, got fired 2 times... I experienced it and once you crossed that threshold you'll realize: Another terrible job is just waiting with putrid open claws to swallow you whole and smother you with excitement and... I forgot where I was going with this. Professionally, I was spending a lot of time educating myself and am as good as done with my job-mercenary work and will soon start up my own business. The previous attempt at that has been delayed to spring 2017. Will likely be tough! But hey! If you never try, you have already lost, right?"

Exactly, so I think best of luck with your own business. I don't think I'm brave enough for that, but as you say, if you don't try, you have already lost. Failure is necessary for success or some cliche like that. But in terms of my current situation, I was actually contacted about a job on Thursday, spoke to them yesterday and seeing if I can get in with an opportunity. So I may not have to walk out and be jobless. Though, I could still walk out, might be fun.

Quote: "Will get you a better job far quicker than a degree. Best to have both though. (at least in the local job market where I am from)"

It's the same here, when I graduated it was the annoying catch-22 of "must have experience to get experience", even on entry level jobs. I think qualifications lack a lot of the power they used to have, because everybody and their grandmother has one.

Quote: "What kind of roleplay, if I might ask?"

The kind people do on an MMO. My group is run on Final Fantasy XIV, I have been looking at setting up a Pathfinder roleplay with the characters we use and I have done most of the preparation for it, just need to find a day in the week. But the roleplay I run is a band of pirates, my character is a recovering alcoholic of a pirate captain, he is not very good at most things, but is knowledgeable and is good with magic, is not particularly strong, cannot win in a fair fist fight (his philosophy is: the best way to win in a fair fight is to cheat), he can't shoot for anything (alcoholism will kill your aim) and generally makes bad decisions, for example a sharpershooter lost their eye, so he had her shoot him to build her confidence, in his defence he was armoured, but still a dumb idea. He also has 2 faerie companions, one is always looking out for him and accounting for errors and the other is also a recovering alcoholic...because he may have taught her to drink. (I did write a short story of them going to an alcoholic's anonymous meeting, I might have dig that out).
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2016 07:25
I remember you. Long time....

Still browse here every few months. Not exactly like it was on the old (x2?) forum, erm, at the turn of the century... Cough...

I'm still doing the same job, for the same UK company (ish - we were bought out and changed names twice), I started in 1995. Except I now contract from Cyprus. I still have days where I have to modify something I created back in 1995. Normally after I've insulted whoever wrote the code in the first place, then realise it's me

Released a couple of simple things for WebOS and Apple. Nothing too amazing. Now working on a couple of mobile projects, using Unity. Pretty much always been a hobby thing for me, although you know would be nice to do as a living.

Cheers

Current fave quote : Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.
Kingius Returns
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2016 07:43
I managed to get my game done and onto Steam, see here http://store.steampowered.com/app/506840/.

Took me over a year to make it! Not many people know about it yet so I'll go and create a forum thread on it. If you like RPG', indie games or innovative titles then you should definitely check it out.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2016 00:28
Quote: "It's the same here, when I graduated it was the annoying catch-22 of "must have experience to get experience","

Same experience I've had. I once found a "junior" position, 3-5 years of java development. I don't think employers know what junior really means.

I'm not really working on any games these days. I've delved into my wood hobby more lately. Though I may have stopped collecting comic books 20 years ago, I still have a box full of them. So last week I decided a cardboard box from the 90s wasn't good enough and I started making a giant pirate chest to store them. I have it lined with marvel comic fabric.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2016 01:17
Quote: "Same experience I've had. I once found a "junior" position, 3-5 years of java development. I don't think employers know what junior really means."

A friend also mentioned to me the other day about a job they saw advertised, it was a programming job that asked for 5 years experience on a framework or something that's only been out for 2. I guess...welcome to HR? I think half the time they're just HR people who don't know much about the department or industry. I've just taken the policy of "just apply anyway". I find it daft, but I think they use it as a filter...though for "junior" or "graduate" roles, requiring 'x' years experience to me still feels pointless.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2016 04:05 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2016 23:07
Quote: "A friend also mentioned to me the other day about a job they saw advertised, it was a programming job that asked for 5 years experience on a framework or something that's only been out for 2. I guess...welcome to HR? I think half the time they're just HR people who don't know much about the department or industry. I've just taken the policy of "just apply anyway". I find it daft, but I think they use it as a filter...though for "junior" or "graduate" roles, requiring 'x' years experience to me still feels pointless."

Yeah, I'm of the same mind its more part of a standard form description than an actual strict requirement. Apply anyway, as long as you can show you know your stuff, the people you will actually be working under care about that and how you mesh with the team more than having X years or Y certs. A good portfolio seems almost as valuable in coding as it does in art. I've known people that have gotten jobs just based on their work on github.

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2016 06:09 Edited at: 26th Sep 2016 06:09
I was at my parent's house a few weeks ago for a birthday and my Dad walked in with the old DarkBASIC box I bought as a 13 year old. Brought back a lot of memories. It's interesting, my tinkering with DBC lead me into several jobs designing arcade, mobile, console and PC games. I started and bailed on two degrees, and just kept finding work in gamedev. Eventually, I got into teaching as I'd accumulated almost 10 years of experience and wanted to pass stuff on. I also taught digital painting privately, which was really rewarding.

A bit over a year ago I quit my job as a teacher and started JigSpace. I moved to Silicon Valley for three months with my co-founder to go through the Boost.VC accelerator, raised a bunch of money, and I've just hired my second employee. We're doing a lot of stuff with VR and AR, so my desk is covered in all the latest gadgets and tech I can find which is fun. Going back over to SF for October for both the Oculus Connect conference and to work on some more cool stuff with Meta (AR headset). You can see a little vid of me and my co-founder below.

It's been a wild few years, but no doubt, DarkBASIC, and particularly the community around it, was what started me on this path. I have to admit I've been a bit bummed by the direction TGC have taken since AGK2, so I moved onto Unity/C# and WebGL/Javascript. I still pop in from time to time to see if the 2D art thread is updated. I actually did a painting for the first time in almost a year the other day.

On the VR note, if anyone has a Rift/Vive, we should have a shindig in Altspace or Bigscreen some time!
JigSpace
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2016 09:40
Wow, looks like I haven't posted here in a couple weeks... This, then, is the perfect thread for a new post.

What have I been up to lately? I guess not posting! Pft. Really, it's just been that my schedule's been stock full of work and school lately. Since the beginning of September, I haven't had a single day fully off (neither school nor work); every day's been one or the other or quite often both.

School's been fine; not too great a load and it's for a degree in business administration, something I've always been interested in, so that's nice.

Work, while stressful, has been fun! For all you who love here in the states, I work at a Super Target in the Denver area. For those not in the states, that's Walmart's (arguably) higher quality competitor. The guests make the job truly interesting.

A great example... The other day, a guest accused me of attempting social engineering and impersonating a Target employee... See, my store has recently been part of a pilot program where we are promoting a loyalty/rewards mobile app. Part of the program involves team members roaming around the store, trying to get guests to install and sign up with the app. This was my job the other day. I went up to one guest, and asked him if he was interested in an easy way to save money while he shopped at Target. He said he wasn't interested, and I should have left him alone then. Trying to be bold, I showed him the whole app anyway. When I finished, he, in a particularly curt tone, asked me if I had "a hearing problem". When I replied no, he aggressively told me to get away from him. This was terrifying... Anyway, I walked away. Apparently, the guest went up to electronics a few minutes later and said to another team member, "Hey, you've got a guy back there impersonating a Target employee, trying to get people signed up with some social engineering app to steal their personal information." The team member explained that I was just an employee promoting a new corporate program, to which the guest replied "sorry" and quickly walked away. It made my day I walked by the guy a couple times after, he never bothered to apologize. Tried to be a big tough guy next to his girlfriend, but truly quite a coward.

Oh and Q4 is starting. You know, the season with Christmas and Black Friday and all the other holidays. Oh yeah. Glad to be in retail.

There are perks though -- it seems I get along quite well just about everyone who works there, and one of the higher level managers seems to like me quite much. That's nice.
OUT with the ugly campaign signature and IN with some super fancy text.
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2016 21:28
Quote: "I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I grew up on these forums."

This was me too. DarkBASIC Pro was actually my first programming language (I'd already been making games using Game Maker 6 but at the time I didn't even realise it had a scripting language!).

It's good to see so many old faces still around though. I really don't think I'd have managed to learn to program without the support I got from this forum (and of course the great languages and tools provided by TGC). Searching for my old posts turns up some pretty hilariously noobish questions, but the fact that the people here actually bothered to respond and help me learn was just so valuable.

As for what I've been up to, I guess it's been a busy few years. The last game I published independently was Nexus of Power, but although I was pleased with it, it got very few downloads, so I figured I'd need to actually go and get a real job rather than setting up my own indie game studio (that's always the dream, right??). I did an MSc in Games Programming and then managed to get a programming job in the games industry, where I've been working for almost two years now. It's been a strange transition. For so long making games was my hobby that I did for fun, but since I started my master's it's kind of been my work too, which is odd. However much I like making games, when I come home from work after 8 hours games programming, doing more games programming just isn't top of my list of things to do any more. It's a strange feeling. I do of course still have a game in progress, which I've been working on on-and-off pretty much since I launched Nexus three years ago now, but progress is painfully slow, and I don't feel it's ready for a work in progress thread yet. I'm still working in AppGameKit Tier 2 though . Anyhow I'm not complaining really! I'm making games for a living now after all! And it all started here on the TGC forums. I honestly wouldn't have gotten my current job without TGC and this forum.

Quote: "I found out about a thing called HandMadeCon this November"

Yeah the handmade community is really cool, it's definitely worth checking out. I wish I could go to HandMadeCon but it seems a bit too far to justify from the UK.

Quote: "I am still plugging away on Sulium, ... I switched over and took a position as system administrator. It keeps me busy, and when it doesn't, my 4 year old does instead"

Glad to hear this is still alive. I sympathise about having the time and energy though! Here I am complaining about it and I don't even have a kid to support!

Quote: "It's the same here, when I graduated it was the annoying catch-22 of "must have experience to get experience", even on entry level jobs."

Yep, I've come across this one too! And don't you just love those job applications where they have like a massive paragraph about the company, then a massive paragraph about the job, then a giant list of bullet points of required skills, and the last one right at the bottom is like "must have 6 years experience". I always feel like they could have saved me a lot of time by just slapping that right at the top of the page and saved me a lot of reading .

Quote: "I managed to get my game done and onto Steam"

Hey congrats on making it onto Steam! That's a big milestone for a dev! Greenlight etc. wasn't really a thing when I released Nexus, so I never tried going down the Steam route, but it somehow feels a lot more scary than putting something up on Google Play. Good on you for doing it though; I hope you earn enough from it to keep making more games. What was it developed in?

Quote: "For those not in the states, that's Walmart's (arguably) higher quality competitor."

Ah I remember Target! I studied in the states for a semester, and I bought pretty much everything I needed that I couldn't fit in my luggage on the plane in my local Target. Good times!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2016 17:27
Quote: " impersonating a Target employee"

This is why I don't go shopping after work. People just see a guy in khakis and assume I'm an employee and start asking questions. Sometimes I just play along and say "yea sure, try aisle 17".

I'm always up to something new every week. Last week I started working on a guidon stand for my unit. I may be going a little overboard with the design, but I wanted something that will stand out. So far I've made two 2' cannons (decorative of course). I'm fairly happy with the results, considering I used a flat sheet of steel and a hammer. Don't have any equipment to roll metal or flare a pipe.
http://imgur.com/S936ixA

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2016 04:04 Edited at: 4th Oct 2016 04:06
Quote: "People just see a guy in khakis and assume I'm an employee and start asking questions."
Lol, that reminds me of this video:

And nice, that is a pretty impressive cannon for being sheet steel.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2016 18:35
That video is funny The girl I'm dating works at Best Buy and I'm sure she'd love that prank

@Wolf: Nice to see you back here! It's been a regrettable few months since I've been in the Geek chat here. It used to be quite lively and I remember dropping the ban-hammer on a regular basis. Now everyone seems to be so well behaved!

Myself, I worked in the game industry for many years but now I'm a senior software engineer at a large Daily Fantasy Sports company. I moved out to Nashville to work in their office, but ended up missing Vancouver too much. The great thing is that they let me move back to Canada and STILL keep my same job, so I sit in a coffee shop every day and work remotely. And they still pay me in US dollars... the way the exchange rate works I'm earning a good 30% more than others in the same field here. Good times

On the side I've got a lot of projects going. I wrote software for a school my friend started, and I get money for every student each month. Now there's about 200 students and it's growing rapidly. Turned out to be a sweet gig!

I'm also working on a casual version of WordTrix, and have written it in JS using the awesome Phaser API. You can check out a work-in-progress version here: http://wordtrix.com/wordtrixnew Right now only the arrow keys work but once the game is finished I'll be porting it to tablets and devices. I would have used AppGameKit but at the time there was no HTML5 exporter, so I went with JS.

I've experienced and shared a lot with this forum since I joined. From finishing my degree, working at my dream job over at EA, other big companies, getting married (and divorced, doh!), and then engaged again with that being called off, and now just enjoying single life and living downtown in a nice city.
Senior Software Engineer - RotoGrinders
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2016 12:13 Edited at: 14th Oct 2016 12:14
Heya, not sure I count as an oldie or not but I sure used to frequent this place a lot ways back, TGC was definitely a vital part in getting me started with 3d stuff. The biggest thing that's happened to me recently was that I got an internship at EA DICE here in Stockholm a year or so ago. A bit into that they hired me as a 3d artist and suddenly I found myself having my very first actual full-time job. It's all been a pretty crazy experience getting a foot in this industry I've been admiring for all this time and I've learned a lotttttt. Been pretty amazing.
Hello, I am Seb.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2016 19:10
Alucard94, now that's a name I've not seen around here for a while. Awesome to hear how 3D modelling has landed you with what sounds like to be a decent job.

Quote: "It used to be quite lively and I remember dropping the ban-hammer on a regular basis. Now everyone seems to be so well behaved!"

A part of me misses the Flamebait threads. But then I say that with rose-tinted glasses, it was once a mess, obviously the hard hammer of the law struck those pesky flamers once and for all.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2016 22:25
Well if you really want to start a flame war, just ask who everyone is voting for in America. :p

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2016 00:55
I'm half tempted to write in myself :p

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2016 03:04
I'll just write in Zorn

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2016 08:35
Quote: "Well if you really want to start a flame war, just ask who everyone is voting for in America. :p"

There is the temptation, maybe ask my fellow Brits who here voted Brexit for good measure, cause a fight on both sides of the pond

But the last time I tried to jokingly start a flame war to get a thread locked I got noob slapped, I wonder if I can noob slap myself as a mod...and then approve my own posts?

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2016 23:35
Quote: "It used to be quite lively and I remember dropping the ban-hammer on a regular basis. Now everyone seems to be so well behaved!"

Oh let me fix that. I'm unbanned again.

"Jeb Bush is a big fat mistake" -- Donald Trump
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o2rvwdLLSF1rmjly4.mp4
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2016 00:04
We ought to change your name to ThePhoenix at this point

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2016 07:38
Quote: "I'm unbanned again."
Tsk tsk. I'm happy you're back! Maybe a little too happy... I must be careful; wouldn't want to scare the under-bridge goat eater away... I have too many goats under my bridge!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 22:02:19
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 22:02:19