Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / a new game engine prototype

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2016 19:18 Edited at: 12th Sep 2016 19:18
Its been a while since ive worked on any game projects at all. I was starting to look at my kingdom battle grounds ... all the different variations i was trying and i thought i would try a completely new idea for the game engine itself once again.

I wanted to combine the idea of fixed drawn levels with random built terrains and random map placement. I love the sandbox idea also. I figured its allot easier drawing fixed levels if they were 2d.... but i really wanted to go 3d. So i came up with a 3 layered 2d side scroller using 3d tiled blocks.

here is a video of its current progress.

its different and i think it may work well. Im going to continue to develop this protype more and see where it goes from there.
Any thoughts about it? what would make it better?
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2016 23:03
Very nice concept, I think you should really build on this as it has lots of potential.
I really like the multi layer concept and you could work in some really good puzzle elements in there.

Very cool
The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2016 23:48
Quote: "Any thoughts about it? what would make it better?"

I think that looks really cool, and I agree that you are on to something good.

The flipping directions when moving from the outer layers would confuse me if I were battling baddies or something.
I like your depth element to to make it a 3d side scroller though, and would probably like more than just 3 layers as a player.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2016 23:35 Edited at: 14th Sep 2016 23:36
when the layers flip... the controls are coded in a way that the joystick x value only resets when its released. I did this so you could effectively maneuver obstacles without restarting a new walk direction. Normally the x value would need to be flipped when the screen flips so i coded in a nice transition to not confuse the player.

thanks for the early feedback. Im going to continue to work on the random world design so everytime you play the game it will be different unless continuing a saved game. Im also going to look at multiple players at once. I think it should be able to manage 4 players using render to image split screen.
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2016 13:36
For years I was playing around with such an idea in my had. Like "Adventures of Lomax Lemming" or "Hunter Hunted". I realy like your camera movement. Great stuff.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2016 01:52
Nice!

so i've been playing super street fighter 2...lol! and i decided i wanted to try coding in move combinations.
this is very very early but looking to be promising. Im wondering if anyone else has tried something like this.... also i have no idea how im going to do swipe combinations on a touch screen yet. this is all joystick in this demo.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2016 21:50 Edited at: 10th Oct 2016 22:03
Some cool exciting news is that I've started building the character editor in the game.

You will be able to draw your own character to play with and dont need to worry about animations as i have taken care of that for the user. All you need to do is draw something and it will show the 3d character animated on the right of the screen. I should be close to a video of this in action probably by next weekend. This is going to be soo cool!

checkout the image attachments below on the work in progress. The game play screen was a 3 player split screen test that works perfectly! I also coded 1-4 so it will be interesting to see where this goes.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2016 02:26
I know it's only a little thing, but I love how you've made the rain not go through solid objects. That aspect is overlooked far too often in games!
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2016 13:27
Quote: "I know it's only a little thing, but I love how you've made the rain not go through solid objects. That aspect is overlooked far too often in games!"

thanks. Its allot more code to do rain the way that i have.... i suspect some coders get lazy and just use a single animated rain object going across the whole scene. I wanted it to rain outside... but not inside buildings.

looks like i should have a video of my editor working later today! I have 4 more meshes to code in and the paintbrush style editor will be ready to go. Its very interesting to start drawing and seeing the 3d result on the side already alive animated.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
This is really excellent!
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2016 05:33
ok.... i got something to show finally after crazy crazy coding.

so this is still very basic but good enough for some game project to use. I still have the legs and arms to code in.... then it should be ready to go. The object glitch that shows everytime i draw.... i just need to move some updating code closer to where it syncs up the image. then it should look clear.

I think a full voxel/editor animator program should be created using this idea and with more limbs for sure!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2016 08:36
That's really cool. I would definitely want to play with this!
Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2016 21:41
Wow, very impressive mate! Looks good!
Regards Sph!nx
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2016 16:04
thanks guys...

I've been working hard at it and it shouldnt be a problem to add this character generator into any game project i make.
this will be my last video showcasing the editor.

next time it will be integrated inside a game.

i wasnt sure if a four legged creature would look ok.... but i think it works

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 14:42:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 14:42:40