Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK GUI Options?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2016 17:02
Hi Folks,

I have been watching AppGameKit since its initial release and it would seem to be making good process. I keep it downloaded playing with new features as they come. I usually don't say much in these forums but....one thing to me is really missing. I'm yet to see any form of GUI controls in the API? This seems to be a much needed asset for game and app development especially if we are looking to languages and engines to help us be more efficient - thus it can be one of the little things that keep people using products like AppGameKit over the larger (free) engines. That said, my question is are these controls planned? If so, any ETA?

I appreciate any responses and wish the language continued progress!

Thanks again.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn\'t exist.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2016 18:19
It's a programming language, you have to code it yourself, like I did.

This is my AppGameKit UI Engine.

Here is the editor..
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 16th Sep 2016 01:23
Yeah like Mobiius said, it's really just a matter of coding your own gui functions.
For example I have a set of functions I use for buttons in my projects. I just include my gui.agc file, call the init function, and can easily add custom buttons with special effects or whatever to any project

I'm pretty sure a couple of users have posted their own APIs on the showcase but you'd have to do a lot of digging to find them.

If you want some tips for effectively writing gui functions then I'm happy to give some

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
130,000 installs with AppGameKit and counting
gbison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2016 01:55
Thank you, I appreciate the responses.

Your right, it is a program language at its core, I get that . However, to say that is the reason it doesn't have GUI controls is a little weird to me, when you have an entire section in the docs dedicated to the Tweening commands. Seems like if we can accelerate the use of Tweens as an example, we could accelerate the use of GUI controls for developers as well . Just think it would help more folks see light in using AGK.

In any instance, sounds like a good ADD-ON to make

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn\'t exist.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
In my opinion, there should be more built-in GUI functions regardless of it being a 'programming language' and despite the claims that you should just code your own. For instance, AppGameKit already supports "Alert()" which brings up the native alert dialog for each platform, as well as Image Picker and Camera operations that themselves tie into the native GUI APIs. When I worked on some Tier 2 projects in AppGameKit, I extended these capabilities to support a few others such as confirmation prompts but such additions have to be 'hacked' together due to the limited accessibility to any of AGKs underlying code (i.e., we have to overwrite existing commands with new syntax).

One of the most requested GUI features that would be essentially impossible to code manually would be a Web Browser control. This would allow displaying of rich HTML pages within our apps and would be useful for a wide array of uses.
ShaunRW
DBPro Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2016 12:30 Edited at: 16th Sep 2016 12:33
Quote: "I'm pretty sure a couple of users have posted their own APIs on the showcase but you'd have to do a lot of digging to find them."

I found this one awhile ago. I haven't had a good look at it, but it seems to have many of the basic gadgets covered.
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/211483

Though I do agree it would be nice if AppGameKit had native GUI support.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 19:19:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 19:19:45